ChristinS profile image 91

My child is going away to a summer program for the first time - how do I reassure him?

My son competed for a slot in an elite summer program for gifted math and science students and won a slot. He will be in the Chicago area several hours from home for 10 days and he's never been away before. He struggles socially in his school here, but there he will be around other kids who share common interests. I've tried to point this out to reassure him, but he's convinced the other kids will probably hate him. What can I do to help his anxiety so that he doesn't end up sabotaging himself and not having fun?

RachaelOhalloran profile image92

Best Answer Rachael O'Halloran (RachaelOhalloran) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 2 years ago

That's awesome :). I told him last night to pick his favorite dish and I'd make it for him when he comes home. It's comical he talks like he's going away for months lol. LOVE the comfort bag idea - although electronics aren't allowed :(.

Torrs13 profile image95

Tori Canonge (Torrs13) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 2 years ago

I think you're totally correct about just having to do it and then he'll relax. I appreciate it. He can call every evening if he wants so I hope that helps him too. :)

Lisa HW profile image81

Lisa HW says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 2 years ago

He's 14 and it's at one of the top schools in the country - I would not force him into something that he wasn't ready for. He competed fiercely for this. Don't think he would have if he didn't want it. Trust me, it's right for him just nervous :)

Anish Nrk profile image60

Dr.Anish.N.R.K (Anish Nrk) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 2 years ago

He's actually not shy at all - which is unusual with how nervous he is around new people. He's actually quite outgoing though. We've definitely been focusing on all he can enjoy and gain from it, which is a great idea. thanks :)