bethperry profile image 88

Refusing to learn the language: is this fair to her children?

The family of my son's friend are from Mexico and have lived here approximately seven years. The father speaks a little English, the kids speak it well, but the mother speaks none; in fact she refuses to learn it. In conversation, she has the kids translate for her. Is this fair to her children to be put on the spot whenever she has to speak with school personnel or even cashiers at a store? And what will this lady do once her children are grown and have lives of their own? (I know if I wanted to immigrate to Mexico I'd have to learn and be able to speak Spanish before becoming a citizen.)

85

Best Answer win-winresources says

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

Thanks win-winresources. Excellent observations.

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

tsmog, that scenario is a little scary and you're a quite brave person! Thanks for sharing.

liesl5858 profile image83

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

That is awesome, lies15858! This lady simply refuses to learn English, and that is so sad she looks down on becoming bilingual. It certainly sounds like it opened many doors for you!

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

fpherj48, the children have encouraged her but they say their mother says Spanish is a superior language. So, I don't know what they could try to compel her.

Robert the Bruce profile image60

Robert the Bruce says

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

Robert, you're right. I don't understand her stubbornness. I have a friend from Korea that speaks good English and learned from listening to others. If I move to another country, I'd be doing myself a favor to learn the official language, you know?

Annsalo profile image85

Annsalo says

• bethperry profile image

bethperry 2 years ago

Very curious indeed, Annsalo, thanks for sharing. This lady, from what the kids say, just refuses to learn English as she says Spanish is the superior language.

Horia Pop profile image59

Horia Pop says

0