1. Love them, unconditionally.
2. Use soft-spoken discipline. Even if they're grounded for a
week, don't yell. Once you start yelling, they shut down.
They don't hear you, so you're wasting your breath.
3. Listen. Listen to their dreams, their ideas, their hopes and
fears, their goals, and disappointments, respond posi-
tively, and encourage them.
4. Never compare them. They are each unique individuals.
5. Share. Share your goals, disappointments, accomplish-
ments, and mistakes. They will know you are just as human
as they are, and they won't be afraid to come to you, and
confide in you when something goes wrong or they have
They'll come to you because they will know that you care, you understand, you've been there, you are proud of them, and you love them unconditionally.