When an Infant Suddenly Dies
34 days of life
A seemingly normal infant can die suddenly and unexpectedly from unknown causes. When this happens it is referred to as Sudden Infant Death. There is no way to predict which baby this will happen to, but it happens everyday to otherwise healthy infants. Even when the parents do every thing right there is still no way to predict or prevent SIDS!
There are ways to reduce the risk.
- Research has shown by placing infants on their backs to sleep will reduce thier risk.
- If you smoke try to quit - not smoking during pregnancy can reduce the risk.
- Do not allow smoking around your child - it can increase the risk.
- Avoid over bundling and heavy blankets - overheating can increase the risk.
- An infant should sleep alone - sleeping with a baby increases the risk
- giving an infant a pacifier reduces the risk
SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants age 1 month to 1 year. When an infant dies for unexplained reasons police detectives will investigate the scene of the death, interview parents and all others present at the time. An autopsy will be performed to try to find a cause of death but no cause can be found. After careful examination the medical examiner will not find any reasons why this infant should have died, there is no one to blame, no one is at fault. As difficult as it is there are no answers for the distraught parents.
When an infant suddenly dies the diagnosis of SIDS will only happen after all other possible causes of death are ruled out. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is not caused by an illness, choking or vomiting, immunizations, shaken baby or child abuse. It is defined as the sudden death of an infant that is unexpected and remains unexplained after a thorough forensic autopsy and a detailed death scene investigation. If any other cause of death is discovered then the cause of death is not listed as SIDS. Although there are many speculations about sudden infant death the cause of SIDS remains unknown.
- explaining sudden infant death to a child
Sudden infant deaths can be difficult for even doctors to explain and understand. An infant dies and even a medical examiner is unable to explain why or find a cause of death. For unknown reasons a seemingly...
If this happens to you it is not your fault!
- Some people smoke during pregnancy and even do illicit drugs during pregnancy and their children still live.
- In the past doctors have said to sleep infants on their stomachs they still lived.
- Smoking around your children is never a good idea but many people do and their children still live.
- Most parents will admit to sleeping with their infant at least once and the child lived.
- We all tend to bundle newborns they seem to enjoy it and they live.
- Not all babies want pacifiers but they still live.
Don't go through it alone!
Losing a child is a parents worse nightmare. Don't go through it alone! Seek help from your doctor. Medications may be available to help you deal with such a loss. Many hospitals have support groups. Talking to someone who has suffered the same type of loss can help. Professional counseling may be available to help overcome the suffering that follows SIDS.
More by this Author
This is becoming all too common news and not all cases receive the publicity you would expect. Meanwhile sex offenders get released from prison after very short jail sentences, some receive only probation. Children like...
No comments yet.