Children and sleeping :: Healthy Sleeping habits :: How many hours of sleep is enough for children
Sleeping habit can be carried on to adulthood and how many hours of sleep do children need?
Just exactly how many hours does a baby needs to sleep? How can we develop a healthy habit among our children, because they say that adult sleeping habit is affected by your childhood sleeping habit.
Most of us knows how important is sleep to children. It has been said that if children get the right amount of sleep and have a good sleeping habit they will carry this until they grow old.One thing more, if they do get the right amount of sleep, they grew up to be healthy and not stressed. It is best if we keep this in mind as early as they are still young.As basic as eating everybody needs to sleep. Sleeping is very important for maintaining a healthy and productive life. Sleep is part of developing healthily.
Lack of sleep can cause a lot of problems, for adult it can cause a life like road accident etc. Sleeping also affects brain functioning, big factor in wise decision making and being productive at workplace and in school.
There are several things to keep in mind so that we can we encourage our children to have a healthy sleeping habits.
The main focus of this article is how to make sure that your child is getting the right amount of sleep.
General things to keep in mind: about children and sleeping
- Put the baby (newborn to infancy) to sleep on their back and avoid putting lots of stuff in their crib
- Keep the sleeping environment comfortable (dark, cool)
- Put them to bed when they are sleepy not when they sleep already to avoid dependency on somebody to put them to sleep, and also to soothe themselves and sleep on their own
- Encourage them to sleep more at night and not during daytime
- Avoid giving children sweets, caffeine or colas
- Observe signs if they are already sleepy like rubbing their eyes, crying etc.
- Consistency is needed with regards to their sleeping schedule specially for toddlers and preschoolers
- Keep away distractions like television, computers and video games and always monitor the amount of use of it
The right amount of sleep for children is discussed here in my other hub -- Right Amount of Sleep for children - take a look at it.
More by this Author
As proven by scientific researches and developmental psychologists, music is beneficial not only to children but also for adults because music stimulates senses. It is recommended as part of everyday routine for babies....
This hub is an introduction to the series of hubs I will make about infancy and baby care. Caring for children in general, not just infants is a challenging task but full of rewards, why not, once you see that your baby...
In honor of the Cinco de Mayo (May 5) celebration, I will feature in this hub the beautiful, best and famous Mexican actresses and actors. Cinco de Mayo is a celebration in Mexico and in other parts of the world where...