jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Negative Image Of Teenagers Who Are Considered To Be Too Good

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

There are some parents who deem their teenage children to be too good because the latter refuse to follow the crowd and engage in reckless activities.   These parents believe that part of a normal teenagers is to be a hellraiser.   After all, these parents portend that one is only a teenager once.

I remember one superior in my last job who stated that it is normal for teenagers to be bad and test limits.   She further portended that teenagers who are good have something wrong with them and they are totally abnormal.     She further elucidated that she respects those teenagers who break curfew and indulge in reckless behavior.    She indicated that these teenagers have personalities while the more cautious teenagers have no personality and are totally amiss.   

Why do some many people believe that teenagers should be as wild as possible and to be hellraisers.   Not all teenagers indulge in reckless behaviors many are quite responsible and conduct  themselves responsibly.   Yes, there are some good and admirable teenagers out there and there is NOTHING wrong with that!   Do you agree?

2. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I have never met anyone with that attitude but would find it odd if I heard views like that.

I have to say that watching the interviews with our young Olympic athletes one feels proud of their attitudes. Especially the way they take the results of their efforts; be it a success or even when the result is not as good as they would have wished.

It is good for the even younger ones to see that attitude displayed, and if it can balance out some of the obsession with celebrity life styles, that's great too.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This superior did utter this view.   She stated that it is natural that teenagers break curfew and indulge in other deleterious acts.   She even added in response to a teenager who was in juvenile detention, she stated that teenagers who are not hellraisers have serious issues for they were not normal teenagers.

3. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

She might believe what she says but I think she is taking an idea/concept to the extreme.

Had she said that some teenagers will push against the boundaries set them, I would not disagree.