Explicit sexuality vs. graphic violence

1. SoundNFury profile image84
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

I was recently talking to my live-in girlfriend about some of the anime titles that are available on, Netflix streaming, and how some of them feature full nudity, sexuality, and graphic violence.  We live with her two sons from a previous marriage and also have two infants of our own.  I found it interesting that the explicit sexuality seemed to be more bothersome for us than the violence. 

On a side note, we also have a PS3, and many of the popular games are extremely violent.  If those same games featured full blown explicit sex (which some games do,) I think most parents would be more bothered by the sex in that case as well.

Why does it seem to be easier to accept, explain or deal with explicit violence in media than sexuality?  Is there something specific about a child being exposed to such things that seemingly makes one more acceptable than another?

1. Meg Moon profile image84
      Meg Moonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't want to expose my children to either but if it came to it I would rather them see sex than violence - after all sex is completely natural and I am happy for them to partake in it when they are old enough- with violence I would rather they never went there. That said a lot of sex that is out there is graphic, violent and completely derogatory to women and in no way representative of real sex that takes place between real people so when it comes to my children being exposed to that then I don't know which is worse.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

I wonder if this relates to why there is a tendency within some parts of society to mix sex and violence.... hmm

We do seem to teach shame in sex and pride in (legitimate) violence sometimes........