Kids Doing Chores

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. krsharp05 profile image74
    krsharp05posted 11 years ago

Do you think that kids should be doing chores by the time they are 8 years old?
    If so, what type of chores? 
    If not, why not?

1. puregrace profile image68
      puregraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitely! By the time they are old enough to carry something, they can have a chore...cleaning up their toys after playing is a good one for little ones. I would say that often we as parents need to lend a helping hand, and not send them off on their own with the chores we give our little ones.
      Sweeping the floor (even if they leave some stuff), carrying something for you (especially if you have groceries to carry from the car), clearing the table, or setting the table for meals, folding some of the laundry, or placing some folded laundry on a sibling's or parent's bed.
      I believe you can think of something for each child that he or she can do at whatever age they are, something that is kind of unique to their personality so it doesn't become a drudgery too quickly.

krsharp05posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's great! The earlier they get used to helping out, the less likely they are to feel that it's a "chore" - even if it's not perfect smile they still added their share.

2. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Yes!  Well before 8.  It teaches them responsibility, community, self reliance, and gives them a sense of accomplishment.
    I'm not suggesting anyone should run their home like a sweat-shop or anything, but kids do need to take an active part in helping maintain the home they live in.

Feeding the pets, sweeping, washing off the table before or after meals, picking up after themselves... the list goes on.

I think that any parent who does not have their child helping with at least some small chores around the house is actually doing their child(ren) a disservice.

It's also just as important that when you do give your child chores, that you thank them for doing them & tell them what a good job they did & how proud of them you are.

You've got a terrific belief system.  Kids will feel good, they will have contributed to the greater good of the family and the house will be clean!  It's definitely a group effort, and it should be.

3. hifizah profile image61
    hifizahposted 11 years ago

I'll have to agree with the two comments before. I try to involve my oldest daughter in our daily chores. So far she seems to be happy and enjoy doing something such as carrying groceries, folding her clothes, and making her beds. I wouldn't push her if she looked tired anyway. It's probably the way you ask them to help. I always try not to make it sound like an order but rather working as part of the team. I also always show my appreciation for every job well done.

I'm sure that she appreciates that you are happy to have her help.  It probably makes her feel like more of a grown-up.  It's important to recognize when kids do good things.

4. kat_thurston profile image61
    kat_thurstonposted 11 years ago

Absoutely I have 5 kids and by the time they were all 2 they were doing some kind of chore even if it's something simple such as putting something away or getting something like when your cooking. For my older ones they will do more of the harder chores, such as taking out the trash, doing dishes things like that. It helps to teach them the importance of work and team work as they've find out that if everyone pitches in and does something it doesnt take that long to get it done.

I love that you had them jumping in so early.  My kiddos are 11 and 13 and they do everything I do - now.  When they were little it was a contest, a race or it was done with music, and boy did it get done fast.  I always remind them that the faster they work, the faster things get done.  Great input!

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Yes, Yes, and Yes! My 18 mth old has "chores". She helps clean up her toys and books every night. My 6 year old is feeding the dogs, wiping off the kids sink, picking up toys, and helping take care of plants outside in the garden. My 8 year old is already raking leaves, cleaning his own toilet, sweeping his room, sorting his laundry, and swiffer mopping his room.  Those are just the required things not the random things I ask them to do throughout the week. Children need structure and need to know that when they make a mess they are responsible for helping clean it up.

That's wonderful.  It sounds like you have some great leadership skills!  I have a friend who is a slave to her kiddos and she is exhausted all the time.  She works full time and then comes home to take care of the entire family.  Having the support of your family makes life easier and happier.  Excellent comment.

6. chrissieklinger profile image75
    chrissieklingerposted 11 years ago

Yes, well before they are 8 and I wrote a hub on age appropriate chores a few months ago. If we are good parents we help our children learn independence. How can they learn to be independent if they don't know how to do their own laundry when they leave for college? A family all helps out. My kids get paid for some chores and others are just part of being a family. What kids of example does a parent set if they do everything? If you start early kids in general like to help and by the time they get to the age where they don't, it is such a routine that they rarely argue about doing the chores.

Hello to a fellow apprentice! What month are you in? I agree with you. I've worked with kids for 25 years and seen many parents do what I refer to as putting their kids in a "straight-jacket" by becoming their personal attendants.  Kids need to learn how to fend for themselves and how to make their way in the world.  They need to learn the good and bad, the beautiful and not-so-beautiful...so when they get out into the real world, life isn't a complete shock to their system.   My kids do laundry, cook, clean...I want to arm them with the tools they'll need to be survivors and success stories.  Thank you for the great comment chrissie.

7. austinhealy profile image72
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

Parenting is about preparing children for their adult life. There is nothing wrong by my standards about having them do little chores . It teaches them to be part of a community and it makes them realize that sometimes they will have to rearrange their priorities. Now, what type of chores is for their own parents to decide, but in any case those chores shouldn't be forced labor and be within the child's physical ability and reasonably limited in time

austin, I love that you mention priorities.  As a gymnastics coach, our high level athletes had to learn to prioritize their lives, homework, activities and gymnastics training on their own.  They knew how to do it because they had been trained to do it from an early age.  I agree that the amount and type of chores should be commensurate to age and ability. Excellent contribution!

8. mrscrowleey1029 profile image61
    mrscrowleey1029posted 11 years ago

I never had to really do anything at home but I can keep house pretty good smile

9. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

I can relate to kat_thurston. I, too, have five children. When they were young, I started them out cleaning up their toys and then moved them to dusting and then picking up around the house. By the time they were eight years old, they were washing their own clothes and had to do another "house" chore. Even the youngest wanted to keep up with his sisters and was washing clothes by the time he was seven years old. Do I think that I was rushing them too soon? No. My secret was that I took into consideration each of my children's strengths and only moved them to more difficult tasks when they were ready. They are now 25 years down to 18 years old and all can manage a house well enough without me. They can cook, clean and live independently. It wasn't always a piece of cake, as they will attest to, but where they left off, I finished. In the end it works, but it isn't for everyone or every family. You have to do what you feel is best for your children and family.

10. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Well, I should say as early as 3 years old. A child of this age can start helping by clearing his/her toys in her room. Learning how you as mother doing household chores. By helping putting the light grocery foods into the lower cupboard, sweeping the floor, setting the table before dinner, looking after his/her younger sibling at the age of 8. There are many things you can teach a child being responsible to his/her family. But donĀ“t forget, only light chores  for a child and praise the child the good  he/she  contributed to the welfare of the family.

11. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Yes, please have them do chores!

As a child growing up, I never had chores to do. The only chore I ever had to do was wash my own laundry. My dad had a cleaning service, so I never had to wash sheets, vacuum, clean the counters, or anything. I also never learned to cook, as my dad did most of the cooking, and it was easy stuff like Hamburger Helper.

As an adult, the only thing I don't struggle with is laundry. Funny how that was the only thing I learned a kid. I struggle with effectively cleaning dishes, vacuuming, and me with a broom is just funny to watch.

Please teach them chores at a young age, so they don't struggle to keep house in their 20s!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)