jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you choose to have an only child to cut living costs?

1. crystaleyes profile image83
    crystaleyesposted 4 years ago

In today's world where the cost of everything is high, how many children would you choose to have or adopt?

2. aimeeSF profile image78
    aimeeSFposted 4 years ago

I currently have a son (and a dog) and we're living in San Francisco - super expensive to live here!

If we can't afford to have another child, we won't. Not only would it be a headache trying to make sure ends meet, but I want to give my kid(s) whatever they wanted and make sure he/they are comfortable. So if I can afford an additional child, I will definitely have one in the future... otherwise I'll stick with having one little one.

If cost wasn't an issue (assuming I hit the jackpot), then I'd opt for as many kids as I could afford through birth and through adoption.

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

My children are grateful they have siblings smile when mom and dad are gone, they aren't completely alone. This is their reasoning that they've shared with me. smile

4. Mom Kat profile image86
    Mom Katposted 4 years ago

Where there is a will, there is a way.  You find a way to make it work if you want or already have more kids... additional children aren't as expensive as the first one (if you're smart about it).... 
    You can save your stroller, car seat, crib, even clothes if you have another child of the same gender... the baby toys, pillows, blankets, and so much more need to be acquired for the first child but can be saved for additional children.
    Extra costs come in when you talk about food, diapers, daycare, medicine, and a couple of other things; but for the most part additional children aren't half as expensive as getting everything you need for the first one.... because if you're smart, you've saved the stuff!

I have 6 of my own children, 2 step children that visit us on the weekends, 2 dogs, and a rabbit...
    Ages of the kids are: 14, 14, 13, 11, 9, 7,6, & 3

When the kids get older & start moving out on their own, I fully intend to #1 do foster care for children who need it, and #2 be the Nanna that takes care of all the grand-kids when their parents are at work.

So, no, I would not only have a single child to cut living costs.  That's missing out on way too much fun & far too much love smile