jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How do I teach my daughter to be more confident?

1. hifizah profile image62
    hifizahposted 4 years ago

I have a five-year old daughter who has a problem talking to others, either kids or adults. She can talk confidently with me, her dad and grandparents but she can't even say a word to other people (whom she doesn't see everyday), regardless their age. I don't know why she always loses her confidence in this situation.
    I'd love to see her talking and making connection with others as I think it would be a good learning experience for her.
    How do you teach a child to be more confident?

1. AnnaCia profile image88
      AnnaCiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

question:  Does she communicate with other children or play with them?
      One thing I would do is  get together with maybe 3 more friends with children and plan a picnic type of activity.  Have games in which she has to interact with other children and talk.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Talk with her teacher. She will probably know exactly what to do to get the ball rolling at school. smile

3. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I have a six year old grandaughter who seemed that way when she was five.  Give the girl a chance.  A year at school will do wonders, I expect.   In the meantime, take her to kids (friends) birthdays parties and get kids to come home to your place for the same.  Socializing takes practice. She'll make it okay.

4. Single With Kids profile image60
    Single With Kidsposted 4 years ago

Don't force her - that's likely to have the opposite effect.

I was shy as a child and absolutely hated it if anyone addressed me directly, particularly adults, I'd just freeze.  I grew out of it in my own time and now absolutely thrive on meeting new people.

My own children were equally as shy when young but they've experienced a lot of social events and situations with me and they're now becoming increasingly open and able to chat to children and adults alike. It's been a gradual change but a definite progression.

Don't force your child but lead by example. If she sees you comfortable in social situations, hopefully she'll eventually realise there's nothing to fear.

5. Pinkchic18 profile image83
    Pinkchic18posted 3 years ago

Great question, and I don't think there's really any one correct answer. But I'd say: A) it's most likely a stage she's going through. B) Give her positive affirmations on a daily basis. Building confidence is something she needs to feel. C) Give her time to learn how to react to strangers. You can't expect kids to know how to meet and befriend people in 5 short years smile

6. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 3 years ago

Lots of good advice already. All I'd add is give her the chance to be 'the big kid'. If you have a friend with a two or three year old, your daughter may respond well if you ask her to play with the little one and show them her toys and tell them how to use them.