jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Breastfeeding Tips

1. Meg Moon profile image84
    Meg Moonposted 3 years ago

What tips would you give to a new mum starting out breastfeeding?

1. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

From my experiences with my two children (as father) do not take hospital advice without getting second opinion.  The coven of midwives that appeared to be in control of our local hospital gave conflicting, misleading and just plain out of date cr@p.  My daughter has now just produced her first babny in a different hospital and found that the same conditions exist there and now.

This is not to say that you should ignore the advice of your doctor or midwife or whatever, some of it is perfectly correct - just double check elsewhere, my daughter is checking with her mother and the internet on everything currently.

1. Meg Moon profile image84
        Meg Moonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Exactly the same thing happened to me in hospital with my first- was given so much conflicting advice!

2. mommygonebonkers profile image79
    mommygonebonkersposted 3 years ago

Relax, drink lots and lots of water, realize that it may be difficult and challenging at first, but one day it will just click and be easy peasy! I struggled a lot with my first child, he just couldn't seem to get the whole latching thing down, but I got some advice that really helped, and one day it just clicked, and I was able to breasfeed him for 11 months!

1. MsJunieB profile image60
      MsJunieBposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My first child nursed easily and every hour and a half. Remember the rules on how often to feed? (He didn't read the book evidently.) He nursed until nine months, then, decided he preferred scrambled eggs and weaned himself.
      My second was a lazy nurser. He would fall asleep and refuse to wake up until he was back in the nursery. They said they were having to feed him. My answer was stop and bring him back to me. He evidently didn't like the hospital's schedule. He nursed until I got pregnant with his sister and I weaned him.
      My DD was easy and weaned herself at 2 years 3 months.
      I wouldn't give up because we had severe allergies on their dad's side of the family and I had 3 C-sections and the breastfeeding got me back in shape physically faster.

3. JessicaAnnoDomini profile image60
    JessicaAnnoDominiposted 3 years ago

I agree with Mommygonebonkers...it can be challenging at the beginning.  My first and I had a rough time mostly because of problems latching on.  But everything clicked when she was about a month old and I nursed her for 19 months.  It was definitely worth the initial difficulties.  Having someone close to you who is supportive is also a great benefit.  My mother was that person for me as she also breastfed and was very encouraging.  I'm now nursing my fourth baby.  I hope it all goes well for you and your baby!