jump to last post 1-23 of 23 discussions (41 posts)

Plain Jane or super attractive?

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 3 years ago

Okay, say you have to marry one of these women/men:

A is SUPER attractive, but he/she treats you like crap. Runs around on you, lies constantly, is lazy, has no loyalty, is mean, and is generally just a bad person.

B isn't physically attractive. He/she isn't actually ugly but is "plain." Not someone that would get second looks, but not ugly enough to stop a train. BUT this person treats you very well, is smart, loyal, kind, funny, supportive, honest, and a great person.

Which would you choose? Be honest! I think I know how most of you will answer. When I posed this question to male high school seniors, most chose A. The girls were split, with slightly more choices for B.

1. Ericdierker profile image82
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love it. I have never loved a woman that was not beautiful to me. Hmm, freckles, pug noses, too short, too fat, too skinny never crossed my mind. Now you have me wondering "is my wife truly attractive". Hmmm. Well thanks for the question, I think I will leave this train of thought before it is to late ;-)

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think I love you! lol

2. 61
      Jessalyn Lagoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

3. MissJamieD profile image80
      MissJamieDposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Definitely B! When you're a mature adult, you understand that looks aren't everything and that being treated with respect, IS everything.

4. Mikeg422 profile image84
      Mikeg422posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Most A's would probably choose B's, and Most B's would probably choose B's as well. The conundrum starts because even A's try and act like B's at the start, and when boredome or ego show their face the A side of them is truly revealed often trapping B into a hurtful relationship that the B's loyalty will not easily let go of. A on the other hand will eventually move on to the next B that catches their fancy, and begin the whole ugly circuit all over again, leaving a line of heartbroken, slow to trust again B's in their wake.

That's my take on it anyway.Lol.

2. Black Lilly profile image78
    Black Lillyposted 3 years ago

B, absolutely.

1. Looks are very temporary
    2. There is ALWAYS something beautiful in everyone of us
    3. If you're going to marry that person, you're in love with him/her, and if you're in love, that person is the most beautiful in the world.

1. habee profile image91

Great response!

2. 0
      cbarbarposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love your response and definitely agree!

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 3 years ago

A is the definitive description of my ex... Did you know her? smile

Not likely to happen but if I were ever to get involved again I would have to say B. Once bitten, etc.

1. habee profile image91

Hi, Gordon! Your ex is my next-door neighbor. lol

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

B.  Looks do not define a person.  Actions do!  No thanks to the A's.

5. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 3 years ago

For my seniors who chose A, I wish I could go back to see if some years of maturity have changed their minds!

6. MathewAbraham profile image60
    MathewAbrahamposted 3 years ago

I would choose B, because I'm looking for a companion for the rest of my life. Her personality is what matters! I don't care about the looks. Beauty lies within.

1. onegreenparachute profile image84
      onegreenparachuteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I chose A when I was young.  Oh lordy what I wouldn't do for a 'do-over'!!  Although, I must admit, it was a wild ride!!  :-D
      Now that I'm getting old-er I am so very happy with my B.  He is all that I need and all that I want and he brings out the best in me.  I'm a much more giving, feeling person now.  The defenses are down and I am safe.

7. Sheri Faye profile image87
    Sheri Fayeposted 3 years ago

I recently saw an interview with Bo Derek.  Her comments were about how she felt silly when someone complimented her on her appearance and she was obligated to say thank-you, because her appearance has nothing to do with who she is. She just happens to fall into societies current fashion of what is considered beautiful. I  agree. Our bodies are not of our making. Yes we can use grooming and self care to look our best, but the basics are there in our DNA.  I would much rather be admired for something I created or my warm heart.
    Another thought…have you ever met someone who was rather plain, but as you got to know them they became incredibly attractive? Maybe their sense of humour or kindness or mannerisms made them appealing. I have!  Have you ever met someone physically drop dead gorgeous who, over time became ugly to you due to their vanity or cruelty or selfishness?  Me too.

1. habee profile image91

Yep! I've had both experiences.

8. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 3 years ago

Someone mentioned that people get better looking when they have good personalities (or something to that effect). Have you noticed that the opposite is true as well? Someone you thought was gorgeous just doesn't look that good to you once you discover he or she is rotten on the inside. I was surprised that so many chose A, but, then again, they are just kids. I think anyone with any experience in relationships would not even have to think about it before choosing B.

9. SoundNFury profile image85
    SoundNFuryposted 3 years ago

Definitely B, because as soon as the "A" person starts behaving like a horrible person, they just aren't super attractive anymore, no matter how they look physically.

10. Saloca profile image89
    Salocaposted 3 years ago

Everybody is beautiful to somebody!

I'm in the B camp here!

11. prospectboy profile image90
    prospectboyposted 3 years ago

Option B for me. I'd rather be with someone who respects me, and is loyal to me. Looks fade as time carries on anyway.

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Definitely "B" - It sounds like "A" would not even qualify as a marriage - nothing two-way about it.

13. cfin profile image78
    cfinposted 3 years ago

I think A is that person that we have all known at one point. The past tense being the most important part.

14. elayne001 profile image46
    elayne001posted 3 years ago

You are assuming that all ugly people are nice and respectful - not so, and also that all very attractive people treat people like crap. I know some very beautiful people that are also that way on the inside (I'll admit, quite rare), but there are some. Some ugly people have been treated like dirt because of their looks and have become ugly inside. It is more about attitude and experiences =  how people end up as they grow old. Some men treat beautiful women like dirt to make themselves feel better and end up with an ugly wife. Have you seen the movie "Johnny Lingo"?  Johnny took this "ugly" girl and made her in to a beautiful woman by the way he treated her. You can watch the full movie here:
    It was filmed in my neighborhood on the North Shore of Oahu.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you make a good point about some assumptions, but I didn't get the idea that the question was stereotyping behaviors at all, only that the OP wanted to see responses from teenagers in her classes, and was curious about what adults think (since we have been through more experiences).  I thought the question was geared more toward the superficial choices some people make before they mature.

1. cfin profile image78
        cfinposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It never says that in the question. the questions just gives you too examples.

2. elayne001 profile image46
        elayne001posted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are right, Marcy. I just was trying to point out that you can take either A or B and by the way you treat them, influence the way they act. So many times we look at the other person instead of looking at the type of person we are. Maybe that is why an A would "Run around on you, lie constantly, be lazy,  no loyalty, etc. (depending on how they were treated). Also a B can be changed to beautiful by the way he/she is treated.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to think you can change an "A," but I don't think that's always true - I've seen some that treated wonderful people terribly, and did all the things Habee mentioned here, even though they were loved deeply and treated well.  Surely some would (perhaps) soften, but not everyone would.

Also, we should not marry people thinking that we can change them.

2. habee profile image91

I'm not assuming that at all. I know some very attractive men and women who are wonderful people. I also know some unattractive people who are ugly on the inside, where it really counts.

15. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Mind trumps physical hands down.

1. Zelkiiro profile image85
      Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Pretty much this. But when it comes down to straight-up "LOOK AT THESE GIRLS WHICH DO YOU LIKE ANSWER NOW NOW NOW" questioning, I do tend to prefer so-called plain girls over so-called beautiful ones.

16. jaraven9 profile image60
    jaraven9posted 3 years ago

A person who may seem ugly or plain to one person may be the prettiest girl in the world to another if they are compassionate and humble.  Looks are subjective.  So obviously I'd have to go with B.

17. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

Neither. If you're so desperate that you would actually make a choice between these two people because you're that lonley, you've got a problem with yourself. I'd rather be alone.

18. fpherj48 profile image80
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

I'm having a tough time that you are even posing this question, Habee?.....Where's the choice?  Except for very very shallow, stupid or masochistic morons, WHO would choose creep A??   Oh sure, HS school BOYS....answering through hormones and their "little head."
    B would get the wedding....right after A's funeral..........

1. habee profile image91

I blame it on my meds, Ffer! lol. And right after your response, you'll see that a hubber chose A - for his kids' DNA.

1. fpherj48 profile image80
        fpherj48posted 3 years ago in reply to this

LMAO......OMG!  Habee, this is crazy!....I guess Mr. "DNA for physical beauty"...does not understand...that our DNA accounts for the ENTIRE human...inside and out!.......
        Yes,  "These are my exquisitely Gorgeous children, Beauty beyond compare......pay no attention to the fact that they are rotten, incorrigible, nasty, mean, selfish little BEASTS......they have been bred for BEAUTY........aren't they miraculous?"  LOL

19. Brisbanelocksmith profile image80
    Brisbanelocksmithposted 3 years ago

A - If you are talking about marriage.  Because with marriage comes kids.  I want my kids to have the best DNA.  I could always divorce A and marry B after the kids are born and let B raise the kids.  A would not want kids running around anyway.

20. Nicole Winter profile image62
    Nicole Winterposted 3 years ago

Being pretty plain myself, I never really had the option of having an "A" but I got to say, no one gets to treat me like dirt anymore, and quite honestly, my guy is one great looking duder smile

21. nlpolak profile image82
    nlpolakposted 3 years ago

B of course!  Real people in real relationships wouldn't go for A.  It just wouldn't work!

22. ocbill profile image75
    ocbillposted 3 years ago

As a high school kid seeing attention I'd choose A.
    As someone being in a few relationships in my mid 20s, I'd pick B 11 times out of 10. I like smarts, mutual respect, and loyalty. Although in some cases, once a B gets noticed more, because you're a B+ or A-, or they get an A friend they tend to wander.

23. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

B is the correct and appropriate answer.   Who in their logically deductive mind would choose A?