Mommy blog

1. crystalgoss profile image60
    crystalgossposted 3 years ago

I need a man, a mighty, mighty good one
    I know after quoting Gloria Steinman in my last blog, this week's entry might not fall in line with the ideas of feminism. But after a few days as a single mom, I realize how much I need a man.

Ever since the epic collaboration of TLC and En Vogue in the 90s I've thought about the qualities of an ideal man. Apparently he should be smart like a doctor with a real good rep, he should know that my name is not Susan and he should spend quality time with his kids when he can. Back then, you wanted a man who had a body like Arnold with a Denzel face. And though Denzel's face has stood the test of time, Arnold's body has not. I blame the steroids and stress from that illegitimate kid. I mean that kid looks like Conan O' Brien put Arnold and his maid in the kid generator. How did this come as a surprise? I digress.

I am lucky to have a mighty, mighty good man. (yes he is!) And I think I appreciate him more when he's away. Having been raised in a single parent home, I understand it's not done without difficulty. But I do forget sometimes that single parents do not get the break I get when my husband gets home. It might just be an extra long shower or a walk around the block, but I do appreciate every moment I have alone. I do enjoy being able hand off Liam into my husband's trustworthy hands for just a few minutes to do something for myself. I love my kids, don't get me wrong, but I do love having a spouse willing to give me a break here and there - a guy who will even change a diaper when pressed to do so.

So I think the members of  TLC and En Vogue should realize a man who will change a diaper and do a dish now and then is actually the one worth your time. It's not always the man in the tight jeans who gives you dreams, sometimes it's the man in a ball cap and cargo shorts who makes you want to shoop.