jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Arrogance & Ignorance...

1. Rafini profile image87
    Rafiniposted 3 years ago

My nephew recently informed me that my sister described me by saying:

Arrogance and Ignorance go hand in hand.

Okay, okay, I can admit it.  I am a confident person, and I really don't know everything.  Aside from this truth, what does this quote mean?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
      prettydarkhorseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Rafini. I really don't know what does it mean. "Silent water runs deep", is all I can think about that.

Rafiniposted 3 years ago in reply to this

deep thinking?  hmmm...I don't get it.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
          prettydarkhorseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is about humility and knowing when to speak with wisdom smile

or

Most often those who are noisy are the ones who are shallow.

gotcha.  thanks pdh  smile

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

True wisdom brings humility, not the opposite as ppl would suppose.

Hi.  What do you mean?

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

When you understand what is most important, what is good and right, when you realize how short you fall from the mark... it humbles you.

When you have the answer, but don't raise your hand, it is because you have learned *your voice isn't necessarily the voice most needed at the moment and sometimes your silence leaves room for something or someone else to speak. Not because you are fearful, or wrong, but because humility teaches us that the loudest speaker isn't always the speaker best heard.

Wisdom in each situation is recognizing whether your necessity to be heard in that moment benefits you or the listener more. If it is filling a need in you, then it is probably not filling a great need in the listener.

My husbands grandmother was a deeply loved woman. Her children, all 5, were very controlling ppl. There was little they weren't opinionated about. They were not quick to forgive. They often found themselves at odds with their own children... but why was the one who raised them so beloved? She held her tongue. She kept her opinions to herself. She opened her arms to all, and let go of hurts and regrets. Wisdom isn't being right, loudly. It's knowing when to be silent for the benefit of others.  At least, that's my best guess... I have a lot left to learn. smile

"Wisdom isn't being right, loudly. It's knowing when to be silent for the benefit of others"

beautifully said.  thank you.  this must be what I was supposed to learn - think I failed....  or, maybe I learned part of the opposite lesson - speaking up when necessary instead of when I "know" the answer....

1. profile image0

I s'pose so. To be a bit cliche, life's a journey. Hopefully, we never stop learning.

smile  yup, agreed.

3. Rafini profile image87
    Rafiniposted 3 years ago

Spoke with my academic adviser today and asked her too.   Her interpretation:

Someone who thinks too highly of themselves - without reason.

Quite interesting, my sister projecting.  lol  Thanks, both of you, for your help.  smile

1. profile image0

Interesting. smile

working