jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Time spent playing video games

1. ibescience profile image85
    ibescienceposted 3 years ago

How much time should teens in high school spend playing video games?  On one hand, it is comforting to know that my son and his friends are right there in my basement playing "Assasin's Creed".    I know what they are up to, but they have some freedom since I am not hovering.   Other parents feel that spending time on video games on weekends is undesirable.  What do you think?

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

The rise in violent video games in the early 90s coincidentally coincides with a sharp decline in violent crime (in the United States, at least). This is clearly a good thing. If your kids want to stay home and play video games, then this is a pretty damn good reason to leave them be.

ibescienceposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is an interesting coincidence!   I have noticed that while gaming doesn't necessarily consume their lives, it does infiltrate other aspects.  For instance, sometimes, the boys will spontaneously all come charging up the stairs, hop on their bikes and ride to the nearest playground. They say they are going to workout, but what they are really doing is role playing what they've seen on their video games.  At the park they will do par corps and chin-ups and other things that they say helps keep them in shape.  They also re-enact scenes from the game.    These boys are sixteen and seventeen years old! Some own cars, some don't, yet they still find enjoyment in being outside and riding their bikes, so I have a hard time finding what is wrong with them playing some video games.   I'm know that there are childhood obesity studies linking gaming to unhealthy habits, but maybe we've just got to embrace the video phenomena and develop ways to add a non-violent physical component.  What do you think?

3. peeples profile image88
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I am all for video games! Not saying I don't think children should go outside, but they are not the enemy many make them out to be. A child does not turn violent from playing a video game if they have a proper home life.
    My 9 year old has Aspergers. He is working on developing a video game right now. It is very productive for him. It keeps him focused, helps his motor skills, and gives his mind something to focus on. I think video games can be very productive in many ways. Even better if once in a while the parent gets involved and plays with them. Some of my husbands only good memories of him and his father were them playing mortal kombat.

ibescienceposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree, peeples.   Especially if the parents are involved in it.   It is like many aspects of parenting:  you need to know and understand your child and help them navigate their path (which may include video games!  smile.  It is when the parent abdicates their involvement in their child's life when things go awry.