White Mom's Lawsuit Over Black Baby: More Superficial Drama

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11867837_f520.jpg
    This woman paid for a Big Mac, but got a Whopper instead! Do I feel sympathetic? Did I have a crying jag when I saw her tears and read her story? Of course, we should all get what we pay for, but this particular story is dwarfed by a much bigger issue that should be of concern to women who are seeking a sperm donor. The transhuman capitalist seeks to redefine the human experience, usually without considering the consequences. Just because science has made procreation possible through artificial insemination, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. In fact, because of the way it is commonly being done, it's a very bad idea.

What do sperm banks tell a woman about the donor? Here is what one company offers:

• Genetic testing is done for at least 11 conditions including: Neiman Pick Disease Type A,
    Sickle Cell Disease, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, and Cystic Fibrosis.

•Race/Ethnicity ,Complexion,Blood,Hair,Eyes,Height,Education,Interests, Childhood Photos

You will notice from the listing above there is nothing about a donors character or family history. There is nothing about the way they smell,the sound of their voice, their attention span, or the way they look at you during a conversation.

Henry David Thoreau was an honorable human being, George Washington was a miscreant slave owner, and Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner and a pedophile. Of course, they were all white, or of European descent. But a woman looking for a white donor with only the information provided above has no way of knowing if the donor is an honorable, or dishonorable person; how they feel about human rights issues; how they feel about morality,philosophy, and religion; whether they are musically inclined, or any number of personal traits that might be manifested in their offspring. Neither does it indicate the character or history of the donors grandparents and immediate family. Furthermore, the "interests" category is completely useless. A sperm bank doesn't check to see if a donor really collects Superman comics, loves cross country skiing, or likes taking long walks on rainy days!

My point is, a woman looking for a sperm donor is better off meeting a man and getting to know him; the old fashioned way. Of course, there are no guarantees that a perfect sperm donor will deliver a perfect child, but the odds are increased considerably. Yes, this old fashioned method is cumbersome, and not nearly as profitable as the current method, but isn't a human life worth the extra effort? The current "fast food" approach to making babies provides us with one more good example of how superficial the world has become.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would expect, if it were me that the sperm provider would be like me. But that would be difficult; there is no one like me. Not bragging that is just a fact.

wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can accept the facts. I feel the same way. If I were going to donate my sperm, I would want to know that the woman shared my philosophy,  could be a good provider, was artistic, and had a strong distaste for mainstream America, nationalism, racism, and Nancy Grace. Of course, I would have to meet them first and get to know them.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11888954.jpg

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If people want sperm and others want to give it to them, what is that to me? Some of the nastiest men and women on earth have kids the old fashioned way. So that is certainly no assurances of making a good choice either.  We takes our chances, either way.

I find it ironic that you feel you can judge the recipients exact reasons for using A.I. ("fast food") without, you know, having actually met them.

wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To answer your opening question: It matters what other people do because ‭ in one way or another, what people do affects all of us. For nearly 400 years Americans looked the other way and allowed slavery to flourish. When the chickens came home to roost, thousands of young men lay dead at Gettysburg, Shiloh,and Antietam. The materialism, and the fast food mentality of modern day Americans will ultimately lead to something far worse than the Civil War. I cannot in good conscience go back to the dust without at least attempting to make a difference, and spare the world a future misery. Otherwise, I will have led a worthless life.

Your following statement is elementary,and suggests a philosophy of carelessness. There are also no assurances that unprotected sex will expose me to the AIDS virus. But I guarantee you that the next time a woman in the audience forces me to have sex with her because she finds my stage presence irresistible, I guarantee you, I will be wearing a raincoat. The point is to eliminate unnecessary risks, and to increase the odds of a desirable outcome. This is what intelligent people do. I don't feel I should have to explain this any further.

As far as your attempt to corner me with your last statement:

I read the article, and based on what I read, and also what I know about Americans,and sperm banks, I am confident that this couple chose artificial insemination, not only because they were both homosexual women, but also to expedite the process. Do you really question why people go to McDonalds instead of taking the time to make a home cooked meal? Really? Do you also question why men masturbate instead of waiting until they can have sex with a woman, man, or transsexual? I understand that I am an intelligent person, but you have made me larger than life. I thank you for that.

3. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

If I were a man, I would never donate sperm to an unknown recipient for the simple fact that who knows what the character of that woman is? If she is a child abuser or a myriad of other terrible things, and I found out I was responsible for giving her a child to molest or beat on... I could never have another moment's peace.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think women who participate in this act are some kind of monsters, for the most part, they are probably lovely women who want to be good mothers... but simple odds tell us, they can't *all be.

There has to be even 1 in a million who is a terrible human being and I wouldn't want to be the man who supplied her with the opportunity to ruin a child's (my child's) life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)