jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Straight Talk

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image89
    Jacqueline4390posted 24 months ago

What has been the most difficult thing you've had to tell your child/children? No one has ever said that "parenting" was easy but sometimes you've had to play either the "bad guy" or disciplinarian. Even when it has made you feel guilty afterwards; what did you say or do that was most difficult?

1. kenneth avery profile image84
      kenneth averyposted 24 months ago in reply to this

When my daughter was ten, I had the awful task of telling her that I was not able to afford name-brand jeans, sneakers, and such. I still feel bad today.

Jacqueline4390posted 24 months ago in reply to this

I know what you mean. My daughter was more practical but my sons certainly felt they needed the name brand shoes, and with boys it was never cheap.

2. ShirleyJCJohnson profile image83
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 24 months ago

The most difficult thing I've ever had to tell my two oldest children was when their father committed suicide.  He and I had been divorced for 15 years, and he had been divorced from his second wife for two years.  But, we all managed to get along and stay in pretty good communication with each other.  My son, who was 15 at the time, was in a counseling session, and my daughter happened to be with me that day.  I kept getting texts that asked me if I had heard from him.  After a time, I got a phone call saying he had killed himself.  My daughter went berserk, as was understandable.  My son didn't even cry.  I don't think he cried at the funeral either.  He doesn't, to this day, talk about his father or his father's death.

Jacqueline4390posted 24 months ago in reply to this

That would definitely be hard for a parent to tell a child. The death of another parent whether from natural causes or not.

I found out that my mother had died from breast cancer. I was walking home from school at lunch time when my neighbor yelled it out to me as I passed her house. That was one hell-of-a-way to tell a 13 year old that she had just lost her mother!

3. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 24 months ago

I had cancer and 16 years later that the cancer had come back and spread to the bone.They were troopers. 
    Now when I change treatments or have tests they want to know the straight scoop.  Not too much detail, not too little.
    Twenty year mark is in three weeks.  In a clinical trial right now.  Don't feel like I am going any where soon.

1. Sed-me profile image83
      Sed-meposted 24 months ago in reply to this

+1 sounds too trite here.