When is a good time to call when you are going to be late?.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Pest profile image78
    Pestposted 15 years ago

I have a friend whose wife plays cards at the local bars.  My friend says his wife never call when she is going to be late.  Yesterday, she was over 2.5 hours late and never called me...errr him.  He gets very pissed off and she says he is over re-acting.  She has a slew of excuses as to why she doesn't call...phone is dead, lost track of time, phone was on vibrate, phone was off, forgot phone...etc....When is a good time to call home and tell the significant other you will be late?....MINUS the excuses, cuz it aint like you have the only f**kin cell phone at the bar.  I need to know so I can tell my "friend" that he is okay with how he feels in relation to this subject.

2. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I would think you would call 2-5 mins before the time you were suppose to be home. Or at least within 10 mins after so they don't worry.

~thranax~

1. Pest profile image78
      Pestposted 15 years agoin reply to this

that is kind of what I figure.  As soon as I know i am going to be late...the next available moment I would call.

3. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

Always say that you are going to be late. So when you actually come home early everybody's happy. But if you're really late, no raising of the roof will transpire as that's the plan cool

1. Pest profile image78

Wasnt me...it IS A FRIENDS wife!!!!!  Nothing to do with me!  smile

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Then pass the message to his wife. It will do your relationship with her good cool

1. Pest profile image78

cool  Geez i was hoping for more than two opinions to pass on!!!  LOL

1. Cris A profile image59
            Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pest, honestly, I think it's the wife who needs an advice or two not your friend. Waiting is also a pet peeve of mine so I commiserate with your friend.  It's the one who makes the wait longer who is at "fault"  cool

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Maybe you should suggest to your "friend" that he fight fire with fire. Or here's another metaphor: what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and vice versa. Show her how it feels to be the one waiting at home with no courtesy call. Do it a couple of times, just to allow the lesson to sink in. See if that breaks her of this selfish habit.
    Signed: A reformed non-caller

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

The person should call simply out of respect, to let them know they are o.k.. If they have had their phone on a charger all day or plugged into a car charger, there isn't anyway the phone could be dead. Making up excuses such as forgot phone, phone was on vibrate, why is the phone on vibrate? If you love someone then you will not make up any excuses, to me they are having to much fun without the other person and do not want to be bothered by the spouse. Red flags and that is only coming from a woman's point of view and only my perspective. smile

The way you feel is a o.k. as what is good for her , is good for him. Give them a taste of their medicine. smile

1. Pest profile image78

My Veteran buddy is coming back from Arizona soon.  I think that I will be "out" a bit more too.

A taste of their medicine it is then! 

I did not mention that I stay home with her kids... sad

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, No you don't stay home while she plays, you have to have fun too!!!
        Step back take a look and see what is wrong with this picture. sad

1. Pest profile image78

I am using this as a venting thing...I know!  i ask why i cant go and spend time with her...she says we spend time together...day before yesterday we spent a full day packing a warehouse of her stuff...then an hour of dinner..."quality time"  then the next day ( once or twice a week ) she plays cards for 6-10 hrs.

Something is wrong with that picture, you are giving her to much rope, and if she was concerned about your feelings, she would understand. Suggest something romantic, maybe something that you both haven't done in a while without the rugrats of course. To much time playing cards as time needs to be spent with you and the kids. 6-10 hours is a long time, tell her you would like to join her and see what she has to say. smile The answer should be a yes.smile

1. Pest profile image78

Done that.  i dont go to the bars anymore...or haven't.  she says that i would get bored.  Also she has her friends that i dont know...I know the flags are there, but she claims i am insane...something that i question quite often.

You are not insane as a woman the rope is way to long, the signs are there and the truth may hurt but either reel her back in before it is to late and forgive her, or cut her loose and stop allowing the pain. You deserve better then that, as you will be a success with your stories and I am certain she will want to be around. chi-chinggggggggggg. Stop allowing her to make you feel insecure as you do not need to feel that way.smile

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Hmmm....  I'm giving advice to Pest...  ?  smile

I wouldn't expect the worst, really.  Maybe she just needs some space to herself.  I think it would be easy to lose track of time playing poker or something like that (?) and some people are just bad with cell phones (take it from someone who is & who once drowned her cell in diet coke, lol).

I'd ask her what's going on that she feels the need to be away twice a week & that it is unfair to you.  Take her out to dinner or something the other night a week...  Do something different and fun.

7. skydiver profile image60
    skydiverposted 15 years ago

She should call as soon as possible. She knows what time she is supposed to leave so she could call well in advance if she knows she isn't going to be finished up with whatever it is she is doing!

Why don't you just turn up at the bar impromptu with a mate, and if she says 'Why are you checking up on me?', you can just say you came for a drink and didn't expect to see her there as she should be home already!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)