jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

What is the best parenting advice you ever got?

1. Tamirogers profile image88
    Tamirogersposted 2 years ago

Just curious, I've been thinking a lot about parenting. My daughters are now in college and there are things I did really well and things I would change. What's the best advice you ever received as a parent?
    Mine was to not forget to carve out time for myself!

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

On children keeping their room tidy!  Who owns the problem?  Is it you or them?
      Answer:   They do, just close the bedroom door and let them enjoy their squalor until they can't live with it anymore:)

Tamirogersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh my gosh so true! I have one "neatnik" and one whose door is forever closed! Thanks for sharing Sally!

1. sallybea profile image98
          sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I used to stress myself silly about this, until I  realized that I did not own the problem.  Just knowing that can be a real stress reliever and the same advice can be applied to many issues one has with children, especially teenagers.

Amen to that. I can't tell you how many times as a mom I chant to myself "Just let it go"..Saves a lot of heartache. Even with college-aged kids it is often tempting to get on them about stuff they just need to figure out on their own!

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The days are long but the years are short.

Susana you hit the nail on the head. I ask myself DAILY "Are they really in college?? Weren't they just in diapers?" But I will say I enjoyed every stage --some more than others for sure!
        Thanks for the post!

3. Onusonus profile image87
      Onusonusposted 2 years ago in reply to this

When people give me unsolicited parenting advice I like to remind them of this useful old world phrase.

Age Res Proprias Tuas.

2. Joe Fiduccia profile image60
    Joe Fiducciaposted 2 years ago

"Always stay true to yourself" and "believe in what you can do".  smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image24
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Eat your vegetables.

3. Tamirogers profile image88
    Tamirogersposted 2 years ago

I love that one Joe..too bad it never works when you're young...

1. Joe Fiduccia profile image60
      Joe Fiducciaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

lol - sometimes it's a struggle in my older age as well.  smile

4. robilyn profile image75
    robilynposted 2 years ago

The best parenting advice is something I couldn't give until becoming a parent, and raising my children on my own.. With each of my 3 grown daughters being so different and unique, advice for one was not the same for another. My conclusion to the best advice would be; Always have patience.. Hug and love one another as often as you can and remember that happiness doesn't come wrapped, but is a goal you create. When your true happiness shines through, that is when you can share it with someone else. If you can't do it for yourself, you can't do it for someone else too. If you can't love yourself, how can you love someone else? Allways forgive and let go of hate. The longer you hold onto it, the more time you waste dwelling in a useless and unecessary matter. Strength and faith are easy words to say, but the most difficult to acheive and truly attain. LAUGH EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!!!

5. PurpleOne profile image88
    PurpleOneposted 2 years ago

The best advice I've received so far is "don't listen to all the advice." Of course, there is some advice that I do find helpful... The point for me has been to learn to trust myself more and not get so caught up in milestones and what the Internet says. smile My kids are only 3 years and 7 months so what do I know?

working