Should parents demand their children for financial support even if...

1. officialkent87 profile image83
    officialkent87posted 20 months ago

they are still healthy and able? What if you are just starting out with your life and since you cannot help much financially, your mother or father will call you an ungrateful, incapable and a useless child...

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Assuming you are still feeding at Mom and Dad's table, living under their roof while holding down a job, why can't you help out?  Is having that fancy phone more important?  Having a nice car?  Going to nice restaurants?  Having lots of free time, precluding having a job at all? 

What is that you are valuing more than helping to support yourself that is keeping you from helping out financially?

2. Joe Fiduccia profile image60
    Joe Fiducciaposted 20 months ago

There are probably a dozen underlying factors to this question.  Even remaining on the surface and purely answering the question of "should parents demand their children for financial support even if they are healthy and able" is difficult because every parent has their reasons for what they do.

As a parent myself, I would welcome the opportunity to keep my son at home as long as possible.  But I know he has to venture out into the world one day.  He has to find his own way and become independent.  He needs to realize that life is a journey and a challenge he must face.  If he was a grown man and wanted to stay home due to laziness or fear of facing the world, I could definitely see myself forcing him to pay his own way, simply as a means of just trying to kick start him into knowing what it was like to take on the responsibility of living.