jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Plot to Kill Parents -The New Menendez Brothers in Atlanta

1. realtalk247 profile image71
    realtalk247posted 13 months ago

NY Daily News Reported:
    Atlanta parents forgive sons accused of trying to kill them, say they still love them: ‘Those were not our boys that did that to us’

The article revealed: Yvonne and Zachery Ervin hold no grudges against Cameron Ervin, 17, and Christopher Ervin, 22, who have admitted to trying to set their family's home on fire and strangling their parents earlier this month.

On September 5 these two brothers stabbed their father and tried to suffocate their mother with a plastic bag.  One of the brothers admitted to law enforcement they had schemed to murder their parents since he was 11 years old.  Their mother, Yvonne Ervin, managed to sneak away, distracting the sons, and call 911 to report "her sons were trying to kill her and her husband.”  Investigators discovered, upon arrival at the home, that someone had tampered with the gas line and believed the brothers made attempt to burn the house. The two brothers were charged with two felony accounts of aggravated assault and two counts of arson.

This story is un-believable, immediately The Menendez Brothers murders came to mind.  You remember the privileged brothers that horrifically murdered their parents with no remorse. For these parents to “forgive” their kids, minimize their actions, and refuse to acknowledge their children attempted to take their lives for some unknown reason is baffling to me.  You can’t take criminal actions and expect society and the law to tolerate your actions. Your parents today, someone else’s friend or relative tomorrow.  This is beyond an anger management issues for these two brothers, this is a psychological malfunction in their heads that would allow you to attempt to plan to murder your parents-let alone starting from age 11.
    What are your thoughts as parents? Could you forgive your sons after plotting to stab and suffocate you?  Is this another case of spoiled kids without discipline gone wrong? Is this another case of parents teaching their children that they don't have to be held accountable for this actions?

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image91
      letstalkabouteducposted 13 months ago in reply to this

I might be able to forgive them, but I certainly wouldn't have anything to do with them. Perhaps, the parents are so remarkably forgiving because they know they failed their sons in many significant ways. I'd never be able to get a good night's sleep again.

realtalk247posted 12 months ago in reply to this

It is difficult to find information about any "issues" involving this couple. While it is true that no one really knows what happens behind closed doors, my read on the parents -not psychologically abusive or physically abusive.  They seem like a nice older couple.

2. ChristinS profile image93
    ChristinSposted 13 months ago

You can forgive someone and still expect that they will and should be held accountable for their actions.  My biological father was a raging sociopath who hurt numerous people - I forgave him for me - not for him.  While I chose to let go of harboring any anger; I still do not allow him into my life or near my children.  When he went to prison I was fine with that too. 

I love my children and I can't imagine the horror of having one of them turn on me in such a manner.  I would like to think however, that I would forgive them because my love for them is so strong.  That doesn't mean you are saying what a person did is "OK", simply that you are not going to allow their transgressions to control you or have power over you anymore. Also, this is pretty recent, and these grieving parents are likely still in denial.  Think about it.   Too many people mistakenly think that if you forgive you are saying "what you did was ok".  Nothing is further from the truth.

realtalk247posted 12 months ago in reply to this

So true. You can forgive but justice must be done. People still need to face the consequences of their actions.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 13 months ago

All I can say is... Yikes. Sounds like Mom and Dad - and probably a whole lot of other people as well - dropped the ball on this kid.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months ago

I demand to know how these brothers were raised. It is imperative for me to know at least some of the details of their home life. I cannot say one single word until I know.
    Fat chance of that.

5. realtalk247 profile image71
    realtalk247posted 12 months ago

DailyMail reported:
    "Yvonne told the 911 dispatcher that her sons had drugged the couple with Xanax and then attacked them when they thought parents were asleep.
    When the dispatcher asked why they had started the attack Yvonne said, 'I don't know, I really don't, I guess they want the insurance money'

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
    The brothers never mentioned a 'bad home life' to prosecutors.
    A Friend of the family-Derrick Butts -reportedly told the newspaper: 'If you call a troubled home life having everything you ever wanted, then I’ll take that trouble any day,' he said.