jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)

How to make kids sleep early?

1. Lgali profile image47
    Lgaliposted 8 years ago

How to make kids sleep early?
    They do not want to sleep and hard time waking up in morning

1. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Get to know your kids. It's hard to give "advice" because each child is different, so any suggestions might not work.
      I used to wear them out with "rough" play, they had their shower/bath, and were asleep in notime. Have you noticed how quikly they fall asleep in the car, at night on the way home fromwherever? Might be tedious, but take them for a drive and see.Age is a factor too.
      Oh, one more thing, if you keep the routine constant, the adjust better. Eg, 7;30 (or your own time here) is bedtime, EVERY night. If they are old enough, you can involve them in the decision making process. Then, if they complain, you can refresh their memory, and remind them that they agreeed to this.
      hmm

1. Lgali profile image47
        Lgaliposted 8 years ago in reply to this

VERY nice advice but hard to follow

Which part?
          The regular bedtime I guess? That's the one that will be the most effective, but not the only one to use. smile

1. Lgali profile image47

yes regular bedtime

One word, "DISCIPLINE"
              Not smacking kind, but consistency, even when you don't feel like it. That's the hard bit for many people. (in anything)

1. Lgali profile image47

very very hard

2. profile image0
    Janettaposted 8 years ago

hahah...Nyquil. j/k big_smile

Routine has always helped me. Set up a specific order of nitetime tasks. For instance, an hour or so before bedtime is baths or showers, followed by a half hour or so of quiet time. It could be reading books, listening to soothing music, or just cuddling a bit. It kind of depends on the age of the child. Also, I would limit or eliminate eating and drinking right before bed and keep the room dark and quiet at bedtime.

3. LondonGirl profile image91
    LondonGirlposted 8 years ago

(1) drugs (2) alcohol (3) bash them over the head with a brick. All work.

Looking at your avitar, I doubt you are like that. I feelthe same sometimes, even now that they are women, only it's no longet about bedtime. big_smile

1. Lgali profile image47

wow those are really good one what are the percenatge of this method

2. LondonGirl profile image91
        LondonGirlposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I wasn't being entirely serious.....

I do have a charming little sod who thinks sleep is for the weak, though. Can get a bit tiresome!

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago

Hmm...haha, I'm reminded of a bit that Christopher Titus once said...

"...the next time I had to take out my baby girl I stopped to get some Benadryl. When I got home she was fast asleep in my arms. 'I don't know what you're talking about honey, she just slept all day. Oh, and when she wakes up she might no a couple new words..like dosage, for example."

G|M

5. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 8 years ago

Wear them out during the day. Naps take early. Check what they eat. No sugar, chocolate, soda, etc. past a certain time. I'm not a mom yet, but I've baby-sat other people's kids and this usually helps.

1. Lgali profile image47

very useful ideas

6. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 8 years ago

The child may be made to do some physical exercise., ie., running, jumping, walking, if possible swimming in the evening. The child should feel tired and sleep will normally come. Some or almost all children get sleep, if some towel is covered to the head. Patting or rubbing on the head while in bed will help to sleep.

7. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 8 years ago

The child may be made to do some physical exercise., ie., running, jumping, walking, if possible swimming in the evening. The child should feel tired and sleep will normally come. Some or almost all children get sleep, if some towel is covered to the head. Patting or rubbing on the head while in bed will help to sleep.

8. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

We would have dinner, usual fare with the food groups... go out to play ... or run amok indoors ... 20 mins bath and toys ... cuddle time ... story ... talk..kiss...hug..g'nite. My kids were always on the move..gettin them to bed was never a problem really... but they know I am the parent and they do what mum says or else, tongue lol lol

9. its_the_skittle_e profile image75
    its_the_skittle_eposted 8 years ago

I'm a babysitter and getting the kids is my worse nightmare, Well, use to be.

I give my angels a warm bath, then I give them a teaspoon of honey.

Another thing that works is get some lavender incense and light one in the childs' room. Lavender has a soothing scent and if you can don't use minty toothpaste at night. The smell of mints wakens the brain more while lavender calms it.

Hope this helps, it saves me all the time.

1. Lgali profile image47

thnaks for nice ideas

10. cindyvine profile image88
    cindyvineposted 8 years ago

Give them some really strong antihistamine, works a charm

11. anglnwu profile image89
    anglnwuposted 8 years ago

Looks like everybody agrees on one thing--drug them or bash them.  Whatever works.  i read to mine with the most monotonous of voices--never fails.  Kids and boredom don't mix.

Haha--simple, no brainer.

1. Lgali profile image47

drug them or bash them. very nice

2. blackbutterfly103 profile image61
      blackbutterfly103posted 8 years ago in reply to this

smile very true I've had my days

12. cindyvine profile image88
    cindyvineposted 8 years ago

Blackmail works as well, if you go and sleep you can have a lolly for breakfast, then hopefully when they wake up and ask for the lolly, you just tell them they dreamt it.

1. Lgali profile image47

thnaks for nice idea

13. blackbutterfly103 profile image61
    blackbutterfly103posted 8 years ago

I have 4 kids in they all are different with my first I stayed up all hours drinking coffee and crying smile. With my second we stayed out all day dinner at 6 bath at 7 and a quite movie. my third was hyper so we would have him spend time in a warm bubble bath with soft music and then bring him in the Dem room and give him a relaxed environment my fourth fell in to on of her brothers routines. it's all on the child the have an agenda of their own but I learn to find new tricks.

1. Lgali profile image47

this means all 4 are different very hard to handle them?

1. profile image60
        ladyvenusposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Usually we let kids nap in the afternoon. But napping makes it more difficult for kids to resume their bed time sleeping. Let them play a lot or let them do other things I'm sure at early night they will get exhausted already an will have a sound sleep. Let them drink warm milk will help too.

1. Lgali profile image47

if we nap them than they will sleep next day.milk is good idea

14. Research Analyst profile image79
    Research Analystposted 8 years ago

Tea is always good for sleep.

1. Lgali profile image47

kids and tea nice combination

working