jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

In an international marriage and/or teaching English to your kids?

1. jcwin228 profile image60
    jcwin228posted 7 years ago

Any , successes, frustrations or tip?

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Our boy is a little too young to have gotten into details, but the plan is for him to be compound bilingual in English and Japanese and we are exposing him to various input and stimuli accordingly as he develops his language parameters.

2. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

We are bringing up our son to speak both English and Hebrew. He's 4, and speaks both equally at the moment.

3. B.Z. Alixandre profile image79
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 7 years ago

When I was learning to speak, we lived in a small town in Germany.  My parents didn't speak any German and the town we lived in didn't speak much English.  I actually learned more German than English.  We moved back state side when I was five.  Having no one to speak the language with (my parents never really learned it) I lost it very quickly.  It has since been a struggle to relearn it, because I can speak the words very well, and remember them, but my overconfidence cripples me when tackling the grammer.    I suggest if your children have an opportunity to be bilingual, maintain it be finding people for them to speak the language with.  However, if they cannot, I for one pick up accents very  easily and learn languages fairly well, though I haven't tried until just now to learn any of them more than passing, so there is still benefit to be had.