Why does it seem all the good men are taken or is it

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (52 posts)
  1. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

because their are only a handful in the world?

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think most men are good men and the same is true with women. The problem isn't whether or not a man is good, it's whether or not you're both compatible.
      The problem occurs because what attracts us to each other is visual, but what keeps us together is much, much deeper. Attraction and sex can only hold you together for so long there has to be more and often times there are just too many differences for a relationship to work.
      Best thing is to decide what it is about a potential mate that is most important to you, the qualities you simply can't live without. Of course there has to be an attraction, but remember over time looks will fade. Then abandon any thoughts of trying to mold this person into something you desire and instead accept those qualities that you may not like so much and focus on the ones that you felt were important to begin with. Let him be him and you be you and I promise, you'll live happily ever after!

goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh so true. Yes if lust is what your after then go for it, but if your looking for depth that seek that in another.

2. profile image49
        latenitemomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the closest to the truth I've read in a long time ! Having been married since I was 16 yrs old., and I'm now 45, and just finding that I have known this man for more then 11 yrs of my adult life and realize its exactly what you've just explained.  (Have been separated for 7months now)and I am very happy I am. The friendship and respect in these 11 yrs., have been far greater then all my years put together in marriage. I know for certain that this will last a lifetime.  Good Post !

2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right buy I'd bring it up to 2 handfuls.  smile

lol

2. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

I dont know. all I can say is, my man is a good man, and hes soooo taken. I am glad I found him.
    This is not directed at you,
    but I find alot of the girls I personally know have fairly unrealstic ideals. That could be a problem....

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

There are plenty.  Most women are just too caught up in themselves to realize it.  And most men are too caught up in women who are caught up in themselves to realize there are women who would appreciate them for being the good guys they really are.

(Anybody get any of that?)

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

toatlly

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maddie, I bow to your wisdom smile

3. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did lol an yep youre right

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I have a wonderful man as well and agree that many people - both men and women - have very unrealistic requirements and expectations, when it comes to relationships and marriage.

5. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I had been burned by jerks time and time again.  After my last relationship ended badly (he cheated), I decided that I was going to find a "nice guy".  I was going to find the kind of guy that girls wanted to be friends with, and I was going to make him mine.  I ended up falling head over heels in love with the sweetest man alive.

6. B.Z. Alixandre profile image68
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

Firstly, I have been single for far longer than I have not.  All my relationships, which ended because of circumstances beyond our control, were to good men.  So perhaps I haven't been jaded enough, despite many many rejections and drunken pathetic attempts at flirting.  But I honestly have never thought to myself why are the good men taken.  For one, many of the so called good men I've met have been far from it.  I have been a confidant for many friends whose relationships others envy, and I know that the good men are often incredibly flawed.  For another, I know many men who are truly good.  And yes, some of them are taken, many of them I have no chemistry with, and others have no chemistry with me.  I think the greatest flaw in the system is the concept that we must have a "type".  We seek things that are quantifiable because we believe this is how it is done, in fact that is what the concept of internet dating is based on.  I think that the only way to truly connect is in person, because then all those undefinable things associated with indescribable feelings can take place.  Things like the unexpected blush when you catch his eye, or the sudden hyperawareness of him even though you two have been sitting in the same position for the whole movie.  That is how you connect.  Looking at the men I've had relationships with (and the men I've had relations with) the only real consistent attribute is that they are men within a few years of me.   I don't think all the good men are taken, I just think we're using the wrong search tactics.

7. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

I'm not searching i just wanted to start a post, to see what others thought of this idea

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

There are tons of good men around. You can't go to the supermarket without falling over at least four or five of them. The problem is women either 1) get too desperate and scare them off, or 2) waste too much time with the bad guys so they never meed the nice guys.

The best advice I ever got was to learn not to give the bad ones the time of day, and you CAN learn to recognize them pretty fast. Just say no to the losers and Mr. Right will finally have room to get his foot in the door. smile

1. k@ri profile image86
      k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The longer I live the more I know this is right!  Great advice! big_smile

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it took me a long time to learn it. I wasn't raised up with it. In my family it was (seriously), "He doesn't beat you or drink, he's a great guy!"  My sister met her husband at 14 and my folks were thrilled--he was 25!

I had a steep learning curve but Bill was worth the wait.

1. LondonGirl profile image81
          LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow. My parents would've been calling the police and taking out injunctions if we'd been going anywhere near a 25 year old when any of us was 14!

1. profile image0

Yeah my brother and I seriously wanted to find him and kick his ass. 25 years later they are still married and have two grown kids, but all of them are miserable, including the kids, which is very sad. I don't know if its because of the early marriage--more likely just garden- variety wrong-side-of-the-tracks melodrama and tragedy. Still, I'm with you...

Actually, my Dad still had a don't-mess-with-me-sunshine look on his face when he met my first boyfriend, and my sister's, too. And we were both 18 at the time. My other sister has so far not introduced one to my parents, which is probably wise.

2. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well said.  yet another reason why you have so many fans.

9. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

The same goes for women.

of course it does, we are equal after all.

2. BrianFanslau profile image61
      BrianFanslauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep... sad or the ones you chase never give you more than a beat of their lashes and they flit away.

I don't know if I would consider myself a good guy myself but I try.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But they do give me a beat of their eyelids - matter of fact, a beat of their eyelids and a beat of other stuff, if you catch my drift. wink They're just not the good ones, is all.

10. profile image0
    LeM22posted 14 years ago

But, you'd be surprised how many guys are jerks. I've seen a lot of them put on quite a show (different personality) when women are around.

The early bird catches the worm...I got married at 19 (18 years this July).

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not always I met Matt when I was 40 years and 1 month old. And that was 13 years ago. Neither one of us had been married before. We are the same age.

2. LondonGirl profile image81

But the second mouse gets the cheese.

I met my OH at the start of our first year at university - we've been living together for 12 years at the end of this year, and he lights up the room for me when he walks into it.

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I met the best guy in the word when I was 51. That was five years ago and we are still as much in love as the day we met.smile

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good on you. I love to hear such stories...smile

2. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That so gives me hope, thank you smile

1. profile image0

Oh there is always hope! It always happens when you give up for some weird reason. smile

1. profile image49
          badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had given up, but just reading your post made me feel hopeful and also happy for you, I may be an ass but I am always a romantic, and I am really pleased for you !

1. profile image0

I don't think you seem like an ass at all, and I have a feeling the right lady is not too far away even now. You'll meet her before the year is out. (Ha! I have no clue really, but if it happens, remember I told you so and both of you buy me a pint!) big_smile

2. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure does. Maybe I gotta wait till im in my 50's. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

I found it ,when I wasnt looking smile

1. k@ri profile image86

Me too!  big_smile

12. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I'm confident there are good men out there (I've even tried dating a few), but I'm just not ready to settle down and find one. big_smile

I'll be honest and say that I'm still in the phase of being attracted to men that I'd never dream of spending the rest of my life with. big_smile Arrogance is a huge turn on. Wish it wasn't, but nice guys are too nice for me. I really like assertive men that don't know how to be indifferent.

I think my dating preferences will change as I become closer to accomplishing my career goals. Call me crazy, but until then, I'm just not ready to fall for a really great guy. (hopefully there will still be some left! LOL)

I never thought about it like that. I met my OH when we were at our first year at uni, and we started going out, and nearly 12 years later, we're still stuck with each other and have a rather gorgeous son, too. It just happened, I didn't intend to settle down when we met!

13. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Yes. They are all taken. But a good number of them will be available soon.  smile

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

On a second thought, all good men are taken, because no decent man wants to be somebody's property. Kind of Freudian slip in the title I guess smile

15. Jellyrug profile image60
    Jellyrugposted 14 years ago

As a Brunette once told me.

"Men are like parking spaces, all the good ones are already taken.

But there is a solution....

Men are also like floor tiles, once you have layed them, you can walk all over them."

16. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

With all due respect to Maddie and her fellow optimists, I actually do not believe there are that many good (and available) men out there.  Sure, there are some, gotta be, but I fully understand just about any lady's utter frustration in finding one of those few needles in the haystack. 

I say this because there have been occasions when I needed to find a good man--no, ladies, not for me!  And I could never pin down even one.  An example:

1985.  I'd met my future 5th wife and had to write my pen pal lady in the Phillipines to (yes, it still hurts) break her heart.  She and I'd been discussing possible marriage, and I had no doubt (and still don't) that she'd have been an outstanding wife.  I scratched my head till my scalp bled, trying to come up with even one man I could send her way...and there were none such that I knew.  Not that I could recommend as husband material.  Not one.

Then again, I'm not in the habit of hanging out much of anywhere a few good men might show up, so what do I know?

As to good women, I believe there are oodles and oodles of those, including every one of my 6 EX-wives, and of course including wife #7 and very much current better half, Pam.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

You dont have to answer if you dont want too ,but if they were good women ,how did they become ex's?

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They (without exception) became ex's 'cause I'm too damned stubborn to settle for less than perfection in my partner and dumped 'em all, 1 after the other, till I got what I wanted.  A quick "keyword" summary of the six "goners" would be:
        (1) hypercritical, (2) disliked sex, (3) hyperjealous, (4) control freak, (5) refused to move with me one time, (6) greedy Gertie. 

#7, Pam, is disabled, hypersensitive, mentally ill, addicted to nicotine...and absolutely perfect. 

For me,  anyway.

1. profile image0
          fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now that's what I call true love for y'all! smile

17. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Black, tall, handsome and fiery - not taken. wink

1. AsherKade profile image59
      AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol....

18. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I admire those who say they found it when they weren't looking.  Pam and I both found each other when we WERE looking, 'cause there was never a millisecond in either of our lives when we WEREN'T looking--so that would kind of been impossible for us.

Therefore, (applying logic) I admire the finders-when-not-lookers folks to be utterly admirable for doing what to us is the IMPOSSIBLE.

Good nonwork!  Kudos for passive reception success!  Yee-hawww!

1. k@ri profile image86

Not only not looking, but trying to hide.  Thanks Ghost!!!  Kudos back and a big Yee-haawwww to you.  I am glad you have one!  smile

2. BrianFanslau profile image61
      BrianFanslauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Woot I hope to be one of those non lookers. I've been slammed with work for the last few months it sure seems that way. Been single for over a year and a half and no "prospects" in sight. So i guess I must not really be looking all that hard maybe a sweety will pop-up into my life smile
      God has perfect timing I just need to keep my head up and keep moving forward.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)