jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)

Man or just MALE ?

1. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 7 years ago

I like the post a few days ago from fierycj. He related a chivalrous act of when he defended a damsel in (sexual harassment) distress. That got me thinking. hmm
    What characteristics make a "mere male" into a real MAN?
    Share some thoughts please, (esp. ladies). big_smile

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Chivalry, Humor,Kindness, Understanding and Patience smile

aka-djposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Stop talking about me so soon. lol

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

When he comes to understand where the boundaries are. Children, even adult children, haven't either a) figured this out yet, or b) have figured out where they are but enjoy violating them

A MAN has self control and refuses to violate boundaries, either someone's personal boundaries or those that society as a whole has agreed are necessary.

3. Lady_E profile image81
      Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

One who doesn't pass out when his wife is having a baby.... common men, why do you do that? smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Escaping like Houdini lol

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

to me, what makes a man a real man as opposed to a mere male is a man who knows how to handle me, and who is in control of his emotions and other things. i don't mean a brawny guy who is arrogant...i mean a man who knows what it is to be a man and who can cut through all my personal crap and get to my creamy center. those men are hard to find but when i meet them, i don't usually forget them.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Honesty ,Respect,Kindness and open to further learning lol

Oh forgot to add ,really helps if he can cook big_smile

You might be losing me on the cooking bit. Willing to learn. Does that help?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Are you a quick learner? lol

3. Ladybird33 profile image75
    Ladybird33posted 7 years ago

Ability to communicate, laugh and love with an open heart.  Limited ego and confident in who he is...

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Too much time is spent on being just female and just male with both the sexes, I think.

Intelligence--and using it, decency, self control, kindness, humility, the ability to be like a kid when it is appropriate, humor....all good traits, but not an exhaustive list!

edit*...oh, yeah, after reading eaglekiwi's response.  I never think about this--I would hope we are past this stuff...but I've never been with a guy who couldn't 'take care of himself.'  That to me means cooking, cleaning, doing their laundry, and ironing, etc.

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ahhh now that's a great point. My man is great round the house ... in as much as he more than matches my abilities to run a home.

However, he chooses not to cook, clean, wash, iron etc as much as is humanly possible. I like to stop and glare rather a lot neutral

And Ralwus? That video ... yikes

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Well maybe this link will help you to understand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTK-osudoR0

6. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 7 years ago

I really don't think the qualities that make a real man out of a male are much different than the qualities that make a good woman. If you're kind, loving, decent, you take responsibility for your actions, you treat people only the way you'd like them to treat you, and you temper your desire for justice with mercy, that makes you a good person regardless of gender.

But I will add this. A real man is so secure in his masculinity, he doesn't need to act "macho" to prove anything, he's not intimidated by powerful women, feels no need to prove he's not "whipped," and he's not afraid to defy stereotypes associated with manliness.

7. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

Gender is a construct.

Are you saying there is NO difference between them?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
        Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm saying that the concept(s) of "maleness" or "manliness" have been effectively made up by society.  And I think it's silly to debate the differences that we ourselves built into these pseudo-definitions.

1. profile image0
          rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

more like, we should ask what makes you an adult?

2. profile image59
          CabinGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is pseudo true smile

2. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

With you Maddie. smile

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Construct?

So we build( or destroy) on something already there ,yes?

Same and different ,aint it great! smile

working