Day care for 18mon boy v nanny

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Is Day care for my 18mon boy a good thing? Or should i get a nanny?

1. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My 17 month old son goes to daycare and loves it. However, this is the same daycare my other 2 daughters went to, so I know and love the people who work there and have all the confidence in the world of their competence and care of my baby.  I would maybe look into a nanny if you don't have other children in the house so you can limit the amount of germs and viruses that your son may contract if its something that may bother you, but if not, find a good trustworthy daycare and let your son try it.
      By this age, they are looking for a little bit of the social scene and are learning what it is to interact and be part of a group.  Daycare can be a very positive experience if you have the right one.  I would also suggest if possible, to start slowly, like one to two days a week until he's used to it.  Good luck!

hinckles komaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a nanny she was 65, he didn't like her at all and she wasn't educated which  made me upset,  what will she teach him? I was thinking he might like the kids there.  Iam listening to you guys and rethinking this whole idea. I do need to go back to work but he is so much more important.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that scientists now think allergies and asthma develop in kids who are over-protected from germs as a baby and toddler.

Children in poorer countries have far less allergies because they are exposed to germs and viruses from birth.  In the Western world, the more germ-obsessed a country is, the worse the allergies and asthma are.

You mean they are immune to them? Well i grew up in Ukraine for 7 years and i was always sick and a lot of my friends weren't as sick that often. What about here in USA we are also exposed to viruses and germs, less than Russia i agree. Well smothering and over doing anything is not a good idea. What about add and autism where do you think that comes from?  I love science and was always good in science but research changes and leaves wholes were we fill in the rest. My daughter never once had an ear infection my mother overprotected her, like always put on a light hat or closed the windows in the car. no drafts. I always yelled at her. thank god because like i said not one ear infection. My daughter and son are not immunized but that another topic. Excuse my spelling please iam trying to get better in writing by reading more.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everything that has already been said here.  Your child is young, it's a big, important decision. There is a difference between a daycare and a preschool or sometimes called learning centers.

I've written an article which might help you if you decide to put your child in school, Finding the Best Preschool for your Child.
      Most schools have an option for part time which may be a good intro, 2 or 3 days a week, or even half days.

Do your research. smile

I will thank you, maybe i wont even send him tomorrow with all the colds and what if the nanny there treats him bad who knows? I think ill stay home.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my son was 18 months old when he started day care. the people there were very communicative and really warm and caring. you could drop in any time, and even though i didn't work nearby, i still dropped by many times unannounced and always found the children happily involved in activities, or sleeping peacefully at nap time, etc.

every single time i picked him up, he was happy and never once did i see him unhappy to be there, and he made a lot of friends, some of whom are still his friends today. it was a great experience for him and i have never regretted it for a minute.

all the best with your little one.

This daycare is all show, the nanny's looked tired and very UN professional. There was a little Chinese boy in hysteria, non stop crying for at least 10 minutes. I didn't like how they handled that situation, they really didn't talk to him, one just grabbed him like a rag doll and dragged him while he yelled Mommy!! My heart fell in the floor. My son was busy looking at the girls flirting like he always does.  So if i don't go tomorrow its over because that's the only popular and very new daycare for 3m-3 years or 4 i forgot.  Basically iam thinking, can he adjust or do i have to.

4. HandmadeChristmas profile image60
      HandmadeChristmasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as the day care is good in your area I would recommend that. Both my sons went to a nursery and they became confident individuals able to mix happily with people. With the experiences they had new situations never fazed them. They have grown into 2 young men whom I am very proud of.

5. csd1509 profile image61
      csd1509posted 14 years agoin reply to this

kids even 18 mnth old ones love to play with company!!
      and sending them to daycare is therefore great but if ur scared he should catch a cold or ... then a nanny is the solution but between you and me.. u can't keep ur child locked up forever...he will catch a cold eventually;)

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I believe it depends on what quality day care is available in your area.
    My children and grandchildren went to childcare, and at times had a nanny.

Childcare is great for them to socialize with other children while supervised and is very good for them to be with other kids so that school is not a shock when they are suddenly amongst a lot of other kids. 

A major disadvantage with child care is all the colds, flue and other things they catch and bring home to everyone else!
    A good nanny may be able to cover some of the social learning using TV shows like "Dora the explorer" and other informative kids shows.
    Good luck with your choice, I feel sure you will get some good information from hubbers. smile

I agree i think ill start un packing his cute bag.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish you the best~~ you and your child deserve it~~ a good nanny may be perfect until he's a little older where it's very helpful to be in a quality school.  I was a nanny for a few years until the little girl turned 4. I loved it! glad you decided to take some time~~

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Ummm...I hate to even post this. But my two daughters worked at various daycares for years. (They would move from one to the other when the treatment of the children got too bad at any given place.) I had the privilege of being a stay at home mom for many years, but when I did go back to work I hired a Nanny. After hearing my daughters' stories, I am so glad I did.

A lot of those daycare centers where people are "in love" with the caregivers there are in for a big surprise. My daughters have come home crying because of stuff they've seen happen and caregivers that they reported but nothing was done about them -- and this wasn't at just one daycare. I won't go into details, but you would never think "daycare center again" if you heard them.

I would NEVER put my children in a daycare center unless I was absoltutely forced to. And even then, I would make sure they had internet-capable webcams so I could check in during the day.

They have 5 babies his age i really don't know i do have an option to stay home but his bored home only with me.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't stay home. Playgrounds, Barnes&Noble, Pottery Barn Kids - a lot of places to go and have fun together. And yes, I do have kids, read my profile smile

He is on a schedule so i cant really go far at 1 or 2 because my daughter comes home from school at 5 and i got the house to work on everyday. Time flies and i don't have time to make money.

also when i read to him and show pictures he looks at me for 5 minutes than hes off....

2. Misha profile image64

Not sure I understand what "on a schedule" means.

everyday 11:30am sleep wake up at 8:00am and food is on schedule. 8:00 pm sleep

1. Misha profile image64

A, another variation of leash. Good luck with that, not my style, so hardly can advice anything other then dropping a schedule. smile

Yes that's my life now not forever, reality bites sometimes in wrong places. lol Not leash,  Harness!! it deserves respect of its creation. Anyways thanks good night.

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My kids were bored too. So I found the right school (which happened to be a highly qualified Montessori school) where they followed an academic calendar and sessions were 2.5 hours per day. I volunteered a lot, popped in and out, and felt very comfortable with it. I, personally, am very, very leery of any 'daycare centers' after listening to my daughters and their friends.

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Don't be cheap, go for most expensive option lol

IAm trust me.  My daughter when to this one, Now iam scared about tomorrow because he is very stubborn,  i guess ill stand by the door.  How many hours can i leave him 1st day?  Do you have kids misha?

5. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I have to admit, there are some horror stories out there about daycare centers and thats why I say make sure you know and trust the people you are leaving him with.  Of course, you can never be certain, we can't be certain about anything in life can we?  except for death and taxes of course wink

My daughters started daycare when they were 3 and 4, so they were old enought to tell me if there was something wrong.  And they were always happy and eager to go.  I don't remember them once complaining about having to go.  So thats why I am very confident about the daycare my son goes to.  We also live in a small community and I have friends whose children also go to the same daycare. 

To HK, make sure you know where you are sending your son.  Get references.  And if you have the choice to stay at home, why don't you find a playgroup instead that you can be part of to stimulate his social side?  I personally loved playgroups and attended almost everyday.

take care and I hope things are not to difficult!

Thanks i also love playgrounds but its getting cold in NYC so how long can i stay at the playground now that the season is changing.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I understand how tough it is when you have to go back to work.
    If you can, just take some time to look around~ I'm sure in NYC, you will find quality schools.

most children adapt very well if the environment is warm and friendly, lots of love and fun things to do.

7. nothlondon nanny profile image62
    nothlondon nannyposted 14 years ago

im a qualified nanny with 14 year childcare experiance and i feel the need to comment,different childcare suits different familys but i feel the role of the nanny need explanning and i mean nanny not an aupair or mother help,my role i to take care of my charge need physical,emotional,social ,lanaugage and intectual and i cover thi aspects all the time a nanny will give yr child 100 percent of her focus whilst looking after him /her and a child love to be in it own home all my charges have oppurtunites to sociallize and the attention they are given i more than a nursery can provide and the child i able to build a strong bond and relaionship with their nanny whilst their parent cant be around.
    im not saying that childcare centre are bad places just that a nanny has more to offer a child than letting them learn letter and shapes from a tv programme!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)