jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Learn to Teach Baby Sign Language to your baby ages 6 months - 3 years

1. kathyn profile image61
    kathynposted 6 years ago

Has anyone used baby sign language?   I would love to hear about your experiences and I would love to hear from anyone who is intersted in learning more about Baby Signs.

1. 58
      tashaleeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i did decide to try to teach my newest member to the family sign language when my 4 yr old son's speach therapist told me about it. she said that the reason why babies cry a lot is because they are frustrated and can't communicate and studies have proved babies who are taught sign language cry less and also begin to talk sooner than others. i begin teaching her at 4months old although the reccommended age is to begin at 6months. we began with the sign for milk. she picked it up and was able to sign back in one month. she is 7months old now and she knows about 10 signs. i have noticed that she does cry less than my other 3 did. she is also a lot calmer than the other kids as well

2. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

I thought about it when mine were babies, but never quite had the time or energy to explore it more.  A friend of mine used sign language with her son and he did not speak until about a month and a half ago - at about 2.5 years old - and even now he only speaks a few words and doesn't speak in complete sentences.

I know her doctor told her that he has no disabilities.  Whether the use of sign language had anything to do with the late onset of speech, I have no idea, but I have heard that arguement before.

3. kathyn profile image61
    kathynposted 6 years ago

Many parents think that sign language inhibits language growth when in fact the opposite is true.  Signing for babies is natural.  Think of babies that you know and how they sign naturally like waving bye bye or nodding their head to no to answer a question.  These are automatic responses for them and baby sign language just enhances this development by using sign language in daily routines and by practicing it over and over again. Babies just start signing and it helps them to communicate to their parents about their feelings, wants and needs.

4. vicki goodwin profile image81
    vicki goodwinposted 6 years ago

Where would you learn about the baby sign language? Would you simply teach the words a baby learns by using the normal sign language?

5. kathyn profile image61
    kathynposted 6 years ago

You can learn more about baby sign language at my website: