What Is Your Nationality?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 125 discussions (230 posts)
  1. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

I was born in London, grew up in London and still live in London. My parents are both spanish, and came here over 50 years ago. I am spanish. But when we visit family in Spain, they still call me La Inglesa! (the english one)

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LaVieja...the old lady??
      I should have thought of that name. Brilliant!
      I'm Scots through and through, but now live in Spain with my Israeli partner.
      He speaks Castellano (and has NO English), I am still learning it, but the village we live in speaks Valenciano which either of us speak.
      Feliz navavidad! <- castellano
      Bon nadal <- valenciano
      Merry Christmas all!

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm Spanish, but have lived most my life in the UK. My dad's a Spaniard and my mum's British which means I'm half and half, but I have a Spanish passport and always think of myself as Spanish.

I come from the Valencia region and so I understand how different Valenciano is from Castellano! Where are you living? I come from Lliber near Benissa.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I'm living in Relleu, about 20 kms inland from Benidorm or Alicante. Benissa is further north I think.
          I've just noticed that I said '...either of us speak'. I meant to say 'neither'. Makes quite a difference to the sentence!
          I can't speak Valenciano at all, except to say 'bon dia' or 'bon a nit'. Do you?

1. Susana S profile image92
            Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't heard of Relleu, but Benissa is about 30 mins north of Benidorm - the nearest beach is Calpe which I'm sure you will know. Unfortunately, I have lost a great deal of both my Valenciano and Castellano - I spoke both fluently as a child but now I can only get by, usually using a mixture of both! I would love to learn Valenciano again,  but I have been unable to find any kind of course I could do at home sad

1. IzzyM profile image86

I can't even find a spanish/valenciano dictionary and I live here!
              It sounds a lot similar to spanish, but written down its completely different, but then I expect you know that:)
              Nearest town to Relleu is I think, Villajoyosa, or maybe Finestrat. You're not very far away at all when you are in Benissa!

2. DaniellaWood profile image72
    DaniellaWoodposted 14 years ago

British; Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred! big_smile

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any relation to Nick Wood?  Bradfordian??

3. pddm67 profile image61
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

Both my parents were born and raised in Cantalupo, Italy. They both migrated to the USA at diffferent times. Dad went to PA, mom to NY. Although they grew up in the same town, they did not meet until coming here. My siblings and I were born and raised in NY where we all still reside.

4. Mieka profile image61
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Wow, I like this thread!

I'm Dutch all the way. I've seen a lot of partial Dutchie so far, any full Dutchies actually living in Holland here?

5. youcanwin profile image42
    youcanwinposted 14 years ago

Indian from India

Parents are from India

Grandparents are also from India

Great grandparents are also from India

6. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Born in Germany. Mother is German, my father was born in Texas, Grandparents from Mexico. I hold an American passport.

7. englightenedsoul profile image57
    englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

Me an Indian from India!!!

8. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I was born in Trinidad & Tobago, so am Trinidadian, I live in the UK now.
    Trinidad is very cosmopolitan so I'm mixed race but VERY mixed.Brace Yourself!

My great great grandmother was white and a Hindu, my great grandmother her daughter married an Indian man (who was murdered a few years before I was born)-Indians from East India came to Trinidad to work and indentured labourers. They had my gran who is mixed with Indian and white.

She married my grandfather who is also mixed. His family originated from Scotland his grandfather was from Scotland from the house of Stewarts so has the surname Stewart obv. So my great grandfather married a woman who was of Venezuelan,Black,French and Carib-native to South America who also inhabited Trinidad-they were similar to Native Americans. They had 9 children including my grnadad.

My grandparents have 3 children- my mother, aunt and  uncle.

My mother mixed with all of the above, married my father and have 3 children: myself and sister and brother.

My fathers family originates from Africa his great,great grandmother was a slave and his/our surname comes from those slave owners. He too is mixed but very slightly-80% black and 20% of another race- can't remember!

So I am a mixture of all of these things so in my family-there is no one with the same skin colour we are some white, some Asian,some black,even some of Chinese descent. Even my siblings and I differ in colour

So I'm a cosmo in itself I guess:

Scottish,African, Venezuelan,French Creole,East Indian,Carib and all that jazz!

Sorry for the long read but it is what it is!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No need to apologize or say sorry for anything. It was a pleasure to read, learn and find out about you. Thank you for sharing. big_smile

1. Sa Toya profile image84
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank You! was worried about how much I wrote, I can often go on and on for days at a time. I have a BIG family and we live in different countries.
        Thank You for asking, It's interesting reading the posts so many people are a little mixed. I think the world's better for it!

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great read.  What an interesting history.
      My Grandfather descended from the House of Stewarts as well.  His first name was Stewart, and we have passed it on as a middle name to one of our sons.

9. irwanfazri profile image60
    irwanfazriposted 14 years ago

I'm malay from Malaysia big_smile

10. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I'm 49% Asshole and 51% motherfucker

1. Sa Toya profile image84
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I almost choked on my own laughter...I srvived and am grateful for the chuckle.

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you survived, and hope I can make you laugh again!

Blood...for you making people laugh, especially here at HubPages is easy to do. lol It's a compliment and take it as one. lol lol

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm all about hanging out and making people laugh.  I really don't take a whole lot seriously, and love the fact that people find the stupid dribble spilling out of me amusing.

2. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!
      I think we might be distant relatives!

11. gusripper profile image40
    gusripperposted 14 years ago

Greek from Sparta

12. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

I'm 90% sweet little kitten, unless I run into lying hypocrites who want to tell me how to live my life. Then I have a mean set of claws.

Otherwise I'm American - with Swedish and Sicilian roots smile

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

To those who I have not said "Thank You" to....Thank You All!

I'm very grateful and extremely happy to learn about all the people who are a solid foundation for HubPages.

It was a pleasure. big_smile

14. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

I'm American. Born and raised.
    My parents are American, born and raised.

I'm part Icelandic, but I've never been there and I have no interest in ever going there.

So I'm American.

15. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

British, bit of other stuff thrown in. But in terms of passport eligibility I am solely British. If my grandmother made her claim for Irish citizenship, for which she is entitled, then I could claim that too - but it would bring no new opportunities to the table for me.

16. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i am from the north of England, but now live in The Republic Of Ireland

17. dyonder profile image72
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

I was born in southern Ohio (not close enough to the border to be considered a brahopper though;). My ancestry is, in descending order, irish (dark), cherokee, french, swedish, english, and dutch. Raised in Colorado though, which seriously influenced my attitudes (town of 6000 with over a dozen bars - go figure).

18. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I immigrated to the USA,

my ethnicity is Filipino

My father is half Chinese-half Spainiard

My mother is a native Filipina

Do you get your beauty from your mom? Or is your Dad handsome? Who do you resemble more? big_smile I'm just curious. lol lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

simple beauty is all, mixed, brown skin from my mom, and eyes big and black from Dad,

overall impact from GOD< sorry CAGS, LOL

Well, nobody is perfect, but you are closer than others. lol lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

far away from perfect CAGSIL, not even a third..but I am comfortable and happy as the way I am,

That's cool smile

19. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Posting to bring it back to life? lol

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Russian

21. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

100% American~ born and bred smile

ancestry from mom~ English, German (she spoke it as a child)

ancestry from dad~ French, English  (my innate love for France)

I think I lived there in a previous lifetime. big_smile

nice thread ~~ casgil

Thank you rebekahELLE. big_smile

1. Ben Zoltak profile image80
        Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a fun thread casgil, I wish people in the real world were half as civil and humorous about each others ancestry as on this thread!

It would be nice, but I'm not looking for the world to see this forum, either. But, I did think that it would personalize HubPages Community of Writers, so they can use more than their writing to get followers or readers.

When people have things in common, even on a socialized, ancestory view, it can give people a connection or generate interest.

Thank you for kind words. I am appreciative.

22. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

K9 lol

23. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Feline lol

24. Ben Zoltak profile image80
    Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

110% Native American!

I was born in Hawaii and raised in the state of Wisconsin.

My ancestors were American Indian (possibly Huron or Ojibwa tribe), Polish, German, Swiss, and Irish.

If you've ever met anyone who is part Irish and part American Indian let me tell you, we'll drink anyone under the table!!!

tongue

25. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

I'm Italian and I'M NOT SHOUTING,THATS THE WAY WE TALK.
    I'm so Italian my blood type is RAGU.

LOL. Italian-Americans love me. They are the only people I enjoy getting slapped in the face by as a greeting.

lol

1. cheaptrick profile image74
          cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hia cags.How you doin...

Not bad. And you?

I'm getting ready to go to bed. Getting tired. lol

2. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice to meet you(SLAP).We also like to pinch!

Likewise (BITE) we like to bite in my family. Some say that's our Polish roots, others say our Native American. Where I was raised, in Milwaukee, the Italians and the Polish immigrants arrived at the same time, so there are lots of Polish-Italian unions!

Makes for some loud, fun Christmas parties!

26. fehillers profile image57
    fehillersposted 14 years ago

Come on the IRISH!!!
    Italian ancestors,the two craziest nationalities in the world.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but put 'em together and you get pure beauty smile

27. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Both my parents are Welsh, however one of my grandparents was called O'Leary.. So I think Im like 25% Irish!

28. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Russian Aussie. Now where is my vodka???

29. Niteriter profile image59
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

My ancestors are (or maybe that's were) from Britian and France. I'm trying hard for some aboriginal roots but I haven't found anything yet my relations will let me put in the family tree.

30. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Без перевода.

31. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

ginger

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ginger lol what spicey country is that?

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spice girls!

1. blondepoet profile image68
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohhh yes I know that country hahah

1. waynet profile image68
            waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes so do I tee hee!

I is from U of K for the record!

2. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that nationality. My grandmother was ginger. She was one of the first cougars (my grandfather was seven years her junior).

32. Katelyn Weel profile image91
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

I am Canadian with 75% Dutch background, and I think the other 25% is Irish.. but all my personality comes from the Dutch side.

Wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen!

33. love my yorkies profile image60
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

born and bred in the good ole USA

from my mom I get - Native American, English, German & Dutch

from my dad I get - Native American, Irish, Scottish

I consider myself Native American but have always had a very strong pull to Ireland and Scotland as well.

34. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Russian and Swiss on my father's side.  German, mainly from my mother's with a hint of Native American ( around a 16th).  Both side immigrated in the mid 1800's.  Sounds like most of us are a varied recipe of goulash!

35. love my yorkies profile image60
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

never thought of it as goulash, that's a good one.  My brother always says we're just a bunch of speckled puppies.

36. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

My Irish great great grandfather came over to England in 1841 during the famine, if he'd gone the other way I'd be American, but I was stuck with the English. MY good Irish friend tells me we came from the Donegal area.

My mothers side came from Suffolk and were most probably Danish (the Danes were running England for 600 years)as their name was Thompson.

I live in Spain, have done for 24 years, my wife is Danish, our children were born here and both are more Spanish than anything else.

A great thread Cag's and a very good idea.

Apart from your views on God I think I like you! - apologies for my attacks when I first came aboard, finding my sea legs now, so I'm off your case... smile

37. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Born in Hungary, lived in France, Holland, Germany, America, England and now Spain. I was "Stateless" until 27. Yupp! No nationality because I never stayed long enough in one country to apply for one. No passport either. I had a gigantic travel-document issued by the United Nations for refugees. It was an a4 size four page documents full of stamps and visas. Every time I wanted to travel from one country to another I had to apply for a visa (to any country, even within Europe). That was a real nuisance. Luckily I married an Englishman (the father of our children) and became a 'subject of her Majesty the Queen'. I'm now British.

38. DogSiDaed profile image59
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

Born and raised in England, but have Scottish family on the mother's side, so pretty damn British, but only a bit over half English

39. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I am 1/2 german, and 1/2 slovak

40. profile image0
    pmccrayposted 14 years ago

Black, West Indian, English and Muskogee Indian - 2nd generation Army brat, born in Texas lived in most of the Western US and Germany.

41. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I could list the half-dozen or so nationalities (that I know of) that make up my family tree, but I don't see a reason to.

I'm an American.
    smile

42. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

American, Cherokee/Scottish relatives fought in Indian wars and The Revolutionary War

Cherokee/Scottish, now there's a combination that would give my liver a run for it's money!

43. profile image0

LOL, they were something in their day. My 38th grt grandfather was a knight. Duncan Na Adh Campbell. I think I got that number right.

Come to think of it....that is pretty cool ralwus. lol

44. profile image0

Thanks Cag. It is. And my one cousin married Patrick Henry's sister. I thought that was very cool. His name was William Campbell, General of  King's Mountain fame. I find the American history of my family much more exciting.

45. Lita C. Malicdem profile image61
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

I'm a full-blooded Filipina, a Pangasinense of Lingayen, Philippines. Happy to be here.

46. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I said I was Scots through and through. I forgot, my paternal great-grandmother was Argentinian. Ahh...like everyone else then, a mix!

47. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Great thread Cagsil! I'm going to have to come back and read the rest... very interesting.

Born in Harrisburg, PA. Still a PA resident, just slightly south-east-ward - Close to where I was raised.

On my Mother's side - 1/2 Russian (I don't have a lot of detail, I know both my grandmother's parents came over when they were teenagers.  My great grandmother, alone, leaving her family behind when she was 16) and 1/2 English/Scottish mix of some sort - Stewart clan on the Scottish end.

My Dad's side is more of a mystery-mix.  English, Irish, Welsh, German - ish.  I know my aunt followed us back to fighting in the American Revolution on one side.  She is a member of the DAR.  I hope to sit down with her someday and go over her research so I can be a little more informed of my heritage.

48. BobLloyd profile image60
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

I don't consider myself to be of a particular nationality although I have a UK passport.  I live in Spain but have an affiliation with a number of different cultures.  There are aspects of almost all cultures that I can identify with and equally aspects I can't stand.

I think that's how it is with most people really.  Although we might be born and brought up in a particular place so we have a birth nationality, as we get older, we absorb different cultural influences and become something else, depending on our experiences.

We share and participate in cultures and that's probably a better characteristic than any sense of nationality. I don't have anything in common with flag-waving nationalism.

49. heartattack4444 profile image61
    heartattack4444posted 14 years ago

I'm a quarter Russian--my grandparents were born in Russia and came to the United States.  smile

50. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

English by preference. Cosmopolitan by origin, Russian/Latvian by language and traditions. Polish/Ukranian by blood. Should I continue or what?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)