jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Happy Families, Unhappy Families

1. sgavazzi profile image60
    sgavazziposted 6 years ago

Leo Tolstoy begins his novel Anna Karenina by stating that "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Do you believe this is the case? Why or why not?

1. falcon64 profile image60
      falcon64posted 6 years ago in reply to this

If that is his point of view. We accept, but happiness is the other side of loneliness.

1. dish_network profile image61
        dish_networkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. some times it also depends on the situation. we can react differently for similar situation.

2. Niteriter profile image79
        Niteriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had myself convinced that the opposite of lonliness was inner peace. But then, maybe happiness and inner peace are the same thing.

2. vox vocis profile image92
      vox vocisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I agree. Happy families are the same because the reasons of their happiness aren't really relevant - what matters is that they are happy. Unhappy families, on the other hand, each have a story of their own, different reasons for being unhappy, causes which need a lot of thought and work to fight the consequences. Have you noticed that tragedies are the basis for many novels written by writers other than Tolstoy?

2. Niteriter profile image79
    Niteriterposted 6 years ago

If that's all Tolstoy had to say, he had a rather dim view of happiness wouldn't you say?

3. Izzy Anne profile image61
    Izzy Anneposted 6 years ago

I don't know any happy families.  I know families who stay together no matter what happens.  That involves lots of patience and forgiveness and the ability to survive mind-numbing boreness.  Some people think that is a price they are willing to pay for always having financial and social support.

4. thirdmillenium profile image71
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Tolstoy lived in  an age far removed from the present day chaos and complications. He could have been right about those days, you know!

1. Niteriter profile image79
      Niteriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Human nature has not changed.

5. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

My family is a bone fide mess. Yet I'm not unhappy with the situation. The rest are though.

That said - I don't have a family, I have a pack. And they fight and fall out like one too.

I suppose regarding Tolstoy, it's possible that it's more likely unhappy families have problems unique to themselves? But then again - most families fall out over jealousy issues, money, greed and so forth.

None of which are far removed from each other.

Tolstoy gave me a headache at school. And he's giving me one now smile

6. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

I imagine every family is ultimately different, tho some may have similarities, happy or not.