jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)

Do you willingly share household chores with spouse?

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Or, he/she has to threaten you with a shot gun?

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't have a spouse. However, I've be domesticated for plenty enough years already. smile big_smile

2. lovelypaper profile image68
      lovelypaperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Are you kidding me? Apparently, I'm the only one in my house that knows how to do dishes.

2. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

TM - I try very hard, I love to share. However, he appears to be rather selective as to what it is he likes me to share with him wink

3. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 6 years ago

The more I help out the more 'us time' becomes available. Its a no brainer.

1. LaVieja profile image61
      LaViejaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

could you come and tell my hubby that please? lol

4. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Thankfully, my husband and I share chores pretty equally. My ex-husband used to spend countless hours a week grousing at me for all of the things I didn't get done around the house that he thought I should have time for around raising the kid and running my at-home business. My husband doesn't see the sense in that, because he could use that same amount of time to scrub the house top to bottom and everyone stays happy.

We do not divide up chores into his/her stuff, but instead whoever has the time does it. I generally try to make sure the kitchen and the bathroom are always cleaned before my husband gets home from work so that he can relax when he gets here, yet if I have too much writing or transcription to do he'll jump in and do the work without a word.

Life is short and good love is hard to find...so why screw it up for something as trivial as housework? I think it also helps that in the past the housework has been considered "my job" and he was a neat and tidy bachelor for many years. The result...we're both just thrilled to death to have any help at all with the housework.

5. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

He cooks, I work. At the moment, housework is sort of ignored because we need to clear a load of clutter first, but are usually too tired to do so. However, the bathroom is now pristine after I attacked it.

6. 0
    JeanMeriamposted 6 years ago

I would willingly share them, but maybe I need the shotgun

7. Mama Sez profile image86
    Mama Sezposted 6 years ago

Papa Sez used to NOT share household work with me, but now he is a MODERN DAD and HUSBAND, helping with everything in the house.  No need for shotgun, he only requests for my smile... and that's so easy to give to a man like him smile

8. NewYorker profile image78
    NewYorkerposted 6 years ago

I try to share as much as I can, but we both spend a lot of time at work so it gets tough at times.

9. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I do what she says because she'll hit me then call my Mom!

10. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

When I met my husband, we agreed that I was a great cleaner, and he was an amazing cook and that that was an incredible combination.  10 years later, I am still the BEST cleaner and he is still the BEST chef, but we have learned that our arrangement would only have worked in a perfect world, and so we have to dabble in eachothers designated jobs from time to time smile

11. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

Mine cleans a bit, but can't wash a plate to save his life. And he can't work the washing machine but that's no big deal. Meanwhile he takes the rubbish out, tidies up, occasionally cooks but I prefer him not to, the kitchen is MINE.
    In my previous marriage I also dug the garden, cut the grass and did all the home decorating - painting and papering, but this man wants to take charge of these things, which is a pity because unlike him, I've got a lifetime's experience and am better than him.
    Still...better what I've got now than what I had before smile

12. ThoughtfulSpot profile image81
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure I participate in household chores in general "willingly."  Far from my favorite activity! smile  But, since they have to be done, I do my part.  My husband and I both work full time, so there's no reason we shouldn't both be doing the work around the house as well. We are partners... as it should be.

(I'm not trying to portray my marriage as perfect... like the house and the job, it always requires work.  But, the good things in life are worth working for. So, I cook or clean, I work hard and I participate in the give and take.  And, I am rewarded by spending my life with a man I love very much.)

13. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

we share most of the time. His disability prevents him from doing many things but it does not prevent him from trying. More often than not I end up having to do what he tried to do and made a mess of. I do this discretly so as not to dicourage him or hurt his feelings. He tries so hard.