jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Keeping Your Child Healthy

1. Idea Connection profile image61
    Idea Connectionposted 6 years ago

I've been talking about how to keep your child safe. Although we take so many precautions in regards to our child's health and safety some of the things we trust to keep our home germ free actually hurts us the most?
    That's right according to statistics 90% of the poisons are from the cleaning supplies that we use daily.You might reply, what about the warning labels they don't say anything about these harmful chemicals? According to the Poisson control centers 85% of the labels are inadequate. What does that mean to you? It means that although the labels look informative they don't tell you everything you need to know. In fact the chemicals you were previously warned about are cleverly disguised.
    The fact sill remains  most of the cleaning products we use contain chemicals like hydrofluoric acid,formaldehyde, benzines,phenols. All known carcinogenic. Even the bleach the one chemical we have used for so many years has been linked to breast cancer in woman,reproductive problems in men and behavioral problems in children. Other items like perfumes, mouthwashes and air freshers also contain chemicals that can put our health in jeopardy.
    Because of the chemicals there has been a dramatic increase of health issues over the years. Including diseases like respiratory, cancer,and other immune system disease. There has also been an increase in a childhood diseases like Hyperactivity disorders and learning deficits disorder
    After looking at these shocking stats I've changed my way of thinking. I am now looking into products that are safer for my family and the environment.
    Want to learn more about the products you use and their affects on your family? Visit
    http://www.unsafehome.com/  and http://www.epa.gov.
    You will be shocked by the facts. I know I was.

2. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

There's also a second problem with some of the powerful chemical cleaning products you're talking about. If you use anti-bacterial cleaning products too much around the home then you will kill all the germs. That might seem like a good think, and is probably why a lot of people do it, but if you have a young child and they don't get exposed to a good amount of germs on a daily basis then their immune system doesn't develop probably - so they may be less likely to get ill during early childhood, but then they have a weak immune system and so are more likely to have serious health problems later on.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

Totally agree with kephrira. I let my daughters potter round in the dirt outside, do whatever they wanted. I also didn't obsess with having a sparkling house, preferring to spend more time playing/reading with them during the fours years I stayed home with them.

Apart from making sure they washed hands after using the bathroom and before eating, I didn't worry too much. My daughters had no major health problems and practically no tummy bugs during their childhood and remain exceptionally healthy today.

4. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago

I posted a hub in the past few days that covers this topic, actually: http://hubpages.com/hub/Getting-More-ou … ood-Health

It talks about why and how to get back to the basics -- healthy basics -- including the cleaning products.  In the article I provide a link to a great source for natural cleaning alternatives.

I agree: We are harming our families, a result of "convenience" products of which cleaning supplies qualifies.