jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are you a caregiver for an aging parent?

1. TJ Stephens profile image61
    TJ Stephensposted 6 years ago

I'd like to hear from those that are dealing with taking care of an aging parent - one that's living with you, or one that's still in their home, but you look after them. Specifically, I'm knowing more about these topics -

- What resources do use to help you cope - websites, magazines, catalogs, support groups, etc.?

- Are you aware of what a nursing home or assisted living facility costs?

- Do you have any other help taking care of your parent - other family members, in-home senior care professional, nurse, etc...?

- If your parent is in your home, how hard has it been on your family?

- What was the biggest inconvenience that you weren't ready for when you starting looking after them?

- What is the best part of having your parent close again?

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I can not say that I have any experance with the issue as my dad lives several states away and my mom is in the pique of health but I figured I would give this a little bump as it has the potential to be a really helpful thread.

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I helped my parents move to Texas(my dad hates it but he hates everything)and I help with the up-keep and when they need me. I try to not meddle or fuss over them but we live about 3 miles apart and I can get there in a hurry.smile

4. Snowdianna profile image60
    Snowdiannaposted 6 years ago

To make them live together with us children is better for us to take care of them and we can watch on everything around them. But if our parents are far away from us, it is not convenient

5. iWilliams311 profile image60
    iWilliams311posted 2 years ago

I was a caregiver for my father. He passed away in 2012. Some of the resources that helped my family cope with his long-term care were:

For the cost of nursing care and assisted living, it will depend on which State you live in, but here's an idea:
    https://www.genworth.com/dam/Americas/U … secure.pdf