jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Dyslexia and Functional Illiteracy

1. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago

I'm curious to know of any experiences you've had with dyslexia, functional illiteracy, how it's deal with by your child's school, when you learned of it, etc.

I have a 17 year old boy who the courts recently turned over to my custody, and I've just learned that he is dyslexic and functionally illiterate.  I am now homeschooling him, but can't even begin traditional academics until I get him up to speed with basic reading.  We're using a program called Barton where all we do (so far) is teach the sounds of letters, not the letters themselves, etc.

Thanks for your input!

1. Lynda Gary profile image61
      Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow.  2 weeks and NO ONE has ANY experience with this topic?

2. It's just me profile image61
      It's just meposted 6 years ago in reply to this

From what I've read Dr Gottfried Schlaug reported that tone deaf people often have a reduced or absent arcuate fasciculus (a fiber tract connecting the frontal and temporal lobes in the brain). Reduced, or damaged, arcuate fasciculus have been associated with various language problems such as aphasia, and dyslexia. This also proves that dyslexia, aphasia, and tone deafness are physically caused problems. Dr. Schlaug, also found that some regions of the brain i.e. the corpus callosum and the right motor cortex, were larger in musicians who started their musical training before the age of seven. Repetition in songs supports and enhances emergent literacy by offering children an opportunity to read higher-leveled text and to read with a meaningful context.
      One of my cousins is dyslexic and we found when he was a little boy that cutting a small hole in a three by five card so that it only shows one word at a time makes it much easier for him to read. He just scoots it along the page as he's reading.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

no, not with a teenager... sorry.

so he is 17 and cannot read? does he know the alphabet?

3. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago

Replies 3 weeks ago and I'm just now seeing them... I'm SO sorry, and I appreciate your replies!

Yes, he knows the alphabet orally, but has difficulty with many of the letters in written form.  His pronounciation of each sound is "off" in many instances.  Being unable to correctly pronounce the sounds makes reading / writing THAT much more difficult.

We're working on sound identification ONLY, and won't move forward to actual letters until he masters the sounds.