falling father

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

my father just had a hip replacement. although i have been there for him and gone through hell and high water for him he treats me like dirt. i go into town everyday to care for him. every time i try to help he yells and verbally abuses me. but when his physical therapist is there he's sweet as can be.
    should i continue to put up with this abuse or not show up and risk him taking a nasty fall?
    i don't want him to be hurt but at the same time he hurts me a hundred times a day. what should i do? i can't take his yelling anymore. i've even talked to him about it and he started yelling that he hasn't been yelling. should i be the abuse victim or the careless daughter who let him fall?

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is not going to change. He will continue this way and continue to use you, and you know something? You will let him because he is your dad and because you understand his frustrations.
      Normally when older people get a hip replacement they get a new lease of life, is this not happening with your dad? He should be walking and getting on with his own life, better than before.
      One thing I can suggest is that you contact your local social services department and see if you can get any form of help in the form of a Home Help or other such person that can just keep an eye on your dad and maybe do a bit of light housework for him, or cook him a meal or two.
      Gives you a break if nothing else.

2. sunflower1 profile image60
      sunflower1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is probably the worst accepted advice anyone is going to give you WALK AWAY and let your other siblings and your father know what life without you would be. It will only take a weekend retreat, no phone, no contact to see if anyone else steps up to the plate. Then say I am here but I need your support...good luck!

3. 2Tony profile image60
      2Tonyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go and see him one more time, if the abuse stars again tell him that your are not prepared to put up with his abuse any more and unless he apotheosizes you will let social services take over.
      You might mention it's not your fault he had to have a hip replacement.

As your walking out of the door tell him you will be there for him but he must apologise.

That puts the ball in his court; he can get you back there at any time if he apotheosizes.

If he dose great, but remember what happen in the future.

If he doesn't bother, his really telling you something.

Live your life first.

4. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

falls kill the old ive seen it many times its odd

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

If he is anything like my dad, he is extremely frustrated right now and is taking it out on you. He is going to be nice when someone that is not family is there, that is what we do. You don't let the outside world see the bad, so there again you get the brunt of it right now.

I would say, if you have talked to him then he knows what he is doing. Maybe go and check on him do what you can but don't coddle or push him to extreme. He needs to work to get back on his feet and either of those can make him feel like a failure. It's that male pride thing.

Be patient with him and just show him how much you love him. Big hugs to you for helping out.

1. profile image0
      Lecieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the advice but i only go in when he calls me. i've had to make about six trips a day. it seems like almost as soon as i get home he's calling for help again. when i get there all he can do is yell some more as i try to help. i even told him that if he doesn't like the way i'm helping he can call one of his other daughters to do it. (i have 4 sisters)
      he still calls me. because of the way he treats me when i help the others have refused to help him. they have put the burden of his recovery on me. he has put the burden of his anger on me. my agent has put the burden of needing my script right away. my cat has been ill. it just seems like one thing after another. if you have anymore advice it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does he live by himself?

2. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hardly. Loved ones always come first.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Loved ones should always come first, but when dad is being a grumpy old B, loved ones get in the neck!

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Pain makes people really grumpy.  Its rotten being in constant pain. 

He is probably feeling 'dependant' on you... remember you are still his child (in his head you are still 14!) and is used to being the role of you being the dependant.

He is also disappointed in himself and can see a decline in his health.  This is very depressing for him.  Anger is one of the symptoms of depression.

A resolve?  Well, try and bring in extra carers to do some manual caring if you can.  I know money can be a problem, but the extra help might help you.  Try taking him out for something he likes to do.. maybe share something special?  This quality time might help with the dynamics of your relationship.

I dont know if this will help, there are no hard and fast rules, but you need support too and this can come in a practical way.

Good luck x

4. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Talk sense into your father. Being a parent is still no grounds for any kind of abuse.

5. west40 profile image60
    west40posted 14 years ago

Is there some way to record him abusing you - my guess is that he is so frustrated and in pain that he has no idea how he is actually treating you.  If you record his abuse and in a few days when he is calm and relaxed, play it back for him - He may be very surprised and wake up to the reality of how he is actually treating you.  HANG IN THERE

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This thread caught my eye because I took of my mother, and I'm of the generation that now has elderly parents, so I know a lot of people who've taken care of elderly parents.  There's no doubt it's challenging for family members, but people who are in pain and dealing with what they can no longer do (or worried about never doing it again) can, as someone else said, be grumpy.  They often have to deal with well intended people who don't really know what the person wants/needs. Some can develop clinical depression, which can affect how reasonable a person is.

For now, I think you may need to find a way not to let his words hurt you; and just try to understand that once/if he feels better he'll probably go back to his old self.  Since you don't live with him, that gives you that much of a break from it.  Since he'll probably get better eventually, that's something to look forward to.  Being in pain and discomfort for a long time can turn people into someone they really aren't.

After taking care of my elderly mother and being really familiar with how things were with my cousin and her 89-year old mother, I've seen that the challenges in taking care of someone aren't the time or effort or work.  We all expect that.  The "hidden" challenges are the thing that are really tricky to deal with, like the "attitude" your father seems to be showing.

I don't know you or your father, but my opinion, based only on what you present here, is that you should hang tough, continue to be there for him, and try to overlook a lot of stuff for now.  If you could get a home health aid or get some emotional support from you from someone like a social worker at the hospital or senior center in your town, maybe those could help you feel less supported.  What I found with my mother was that she was free to "be herself" when I was the one around, because she felt close to me and didn't feel she had to put on a friendly, strong, front.  I'd hear her on the phone, talking and laughing with someone; and then when she was off the phone she'd seem close to despondent (this was when she was bedridden and dying, so it wasn't like she had reason to be laughing and chatting - but she'd laugh and chat when someone else called).  I guess it was a matter of "rising above it" if she felt she had to, or else a matter of having pride and dignity with outsiders; but a matter of her just feeling that I should know her well enough that she didn't have to pretend.

Hope your father recovers soon; and keep in mind that it's "never pretty" when you're on the care-giving end in these situations.  If they could be "all happy" and just need assistance it would be a whole lot easier and less challenging; but what you're describing is exactly the kind of thing that makes such a situation hard on those involved.

7. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

IzzyM wrote:
    "One thing I can suggest is that you contact your local social services department and see if you can get any form of help in the form of a Home Help or other such person that can just keep an eye on your dad and maybe do a bit of light housework for him, or cook him a meal or two."

This makes a lot of sense. You sound very stressed out from carrying the whole load. You need some time of your own needs. Definitely get some help. Your sisters should be more involved.

Best wishes -- I admire your dedication.

8. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Perhaps the problem is he's calling you rather than you calling him or just stopping by?  Or maybe you're providing the wrong kind of help? 

When I had to take care of 2 of my kids after a car accident (my daughter had a broken arm, both had concussions & whiplash) I slowly allowed them to do more, but asked them along the way if they needed help or what kind of help do they need.  Basically allowing them to direct me as to what help they needed instead of assuming.

I am thinking your father might be annoyed at needing help and doesn't know how to ask for it properly.

9. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

from experience...sometimes a few months stay in an assisted living facility, "nursing home ", is what he needs to settle down and appriciate what his family does for him....they will take great care of him but not put up with the verbal abuse...he will learn to appriciate you and all you are doing for him...

10. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Lecie
    I am not sure about Ohio but here in Pa. we have an organazation called York County Area Agency on Aging. When My husband came home from the Hospital the last time they paid for me to get outside help from a none relative so that I could go to work and stuff. It might be that there is some kind of organazation like that for you as well.

I think they are primarily funded by AARP

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good idea!  Where I'm at we have the Coalition for the Elderly.  Probably if she called Social Services they could help her locate the appropriate agency for assistance.

11. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

My father had both legs amputated in old age.  He was generally the most balanced and wise man, I never heard him use racist,sexist or any ist talk in my life, he never hit any of us 8 kids etc etc.

Recovering in hospital he was SO nice to everyone, all the staff and patients loved him to death.  BUT he was absolutely foul to to the black nurse who took care of his every need, calling her a b***k b***h, why didn't she go back where she came from, etc., etc.; ad nauseaum.  I tried to talk to him about it but he refused to talk about it.

I brought the nurse a gift and tried to apologise to her for him - she told me that she considered it part of his therapy to shout at someone and abuse them, it got the anger and frustration out of him when there was no answer to the terrible thing that was happening to him.  That we could all have the sight and wisdom and patience etc etc to be like her ?? 

The ending was that she was the only person he insisted on going back to see (only once) and they clearly loved each other in some way.

12. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

thanks to you all. you may not know it but your words here have been some support for me. my younger sister does live with my dad. i only go in when she needs my help caring for him or a break of her own. that's anywhere from 2-6 times a day. the funny thing is most of the time he's a complete angel with her. when i rush in to help when it's needed he just yells things like "i don't care what you think would be easier. your going to have to listen and do it right." i mean he yells at the top of his lungs. i try my hardest to put things where he wants them or clean how he wants. he was a military man though and sometimes he treats me more like a soldier than a daughter. i know i'm stronger than most of my sisters but even i have my breaking point. i will take your advice and look into home care for him. thanks so much just for listening. i don't know that many people and the ones i do know don't listen to problems. they can sure throw theirs at me but could careless when i have one. you guys are the best. thanks so much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)