jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Life As I Know It: Ignore Or To Be Ignored

1. 60
    2shortAriposted 6 years ago

It doesn't take long for kid to learn things from you, especially the things you wish they never caught on to.  Example?  If you slip up and cuss, then you think, crap! maybe they didn't catch that.  Next thing you know, there it is coming out of that cute little mouth, and all it took was that one time!  Well, my kids are experts at ignoring,  something that you got to do once in awhile to get house work done.   They can make you feel invisible, sometimes I'll try to talk to my son and he'll ignore me and pretend to watch t.v.. I'll even get right up in his face and  he'll still pretend to watch t.v. with this little smirk on his face, what a butt!  Next is the ignoring what you told them not to do,  and looking completely innocent about it.  What's that mom?  I didn't hear you tell me stop or no five times, what are you talking about, I'm sweet and innocent.  I didn't account for this so young, I thought definately the teen years though.  So the question is to ignore or be ignored?

1. 2Tony profile image49
      2Tonyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi 2shortAri

How old are the children.

T  uk

1. 60
        2shortAriposted 6 years ago in reply to this

1 and 3 yrs. old

2. FranyaBlue profile image79
    FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago

This sounds just like my 4 year old sister! She is a devil for this kind of stuff.

I think if you are trying to disciplin your child then things shouldn't be ignored. If that's what you were meaning?

3. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Has it always been like this? Why do you think they started ignoring you?

1. 60

no not always, but it's mostly just my kids have a playful nature.  I think disipline is nessasary but there's alot about being a parent that you have to take with humor.  When they are actually being rebellious they don't pretend to ignore you they make their displeasure apparent in other ways.

4. Ohma profile image80
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

Either turn the t.v. off or remove him from the room where it is. Insist that he look you in the face when you are talking to him. after you have explained to him what you want make him tell you what he thinks you are after.
    Learning to listen is one of the most difficult things. As his parent you need to teach him that
    A)ignoring you is unacceptable and
    B)you are not going to allow him to get away with it.

5. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 6 years ago

If it makes you feel better, one day my brother spit on the ground while walking with his toddler.  My nephew thought that was cool, but he didn't just spit on the ground.  He also spit on his mother and his classmate.

1. 60

it doesn't make me feel better, but I'm glad that I'm part of the "parents getting initaited by their children" club!

6. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 6 years ago

Cut off the power to the tv.

7. Colebabie profile image61

Be creative.

8. Colebabie profile image61

And get their hearing checked. Seriously.

9. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago

Your child needs to learn that it is rude to ignore, and that it is NEVER acceptable to ignore your parents.

This means, of course, that you have to set the example.  Don't ignore your child(ren), not even to get the housework done.  There is another way.

Be selective, and respect you children.  In other words, always yelling out from the kitchen (regardless of what your child may be engaged in) is USUALLY rude.  (Usually, guys.  Don't hate me on this.)  I hate it when someone yells for or at me from another room, and I won't answer.  If they can't take the time to walk to where I'm sitting to look me in the eye to make their comment or ask their question, they aren't respecting me and my time. 

I give the same respect to my children.  I don't yell out to them.

Also, given the ages of your children, they are in the infancy stages of learning to communicate.  Now, more than ever, is the time to teach them the respectful, proper, and healthy ways to communicate.

Finally, make sure that you ARE communicating (which is a two-way street) and not simply talking AT them.  We, as parents, too often talk AT our children instead of WITH them.  As a result, they tune us out.