Finish the line - you know you are a mother when......

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (59 posts)
  1. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

most of your thoughts are regarding your children

1. Traqqer profile image67
      Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...you haven't had time to eat properly or exercise enough or had enough rest, but you're life feels very full and your heart feels like its going to burst when you think of the little ones you helped to bring into this world.

1. Traqqer profile image67
        Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, not all mothers gave birth. So, another option would to my first answer would be, "..think of the little (or big) ones you care for."

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...you're out somewhere and you hear a child call out "Mom" and you automatically turn to see if that is your child for a split second.

...you understand and appreciate the quote "No one stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child."

...you freely and willingly put their own needs before yours, even if that means they get the last piece of toast or bowl of Cheerios or warm fuzzy blanket.

...you cringe at bumper stickers like these:

My kid beat up your honor student.
      Spending our kid's inheritance.

...after a long day of work, your six-year-old wanders into the kitchen after dinner as you're putting away the last clean dish and informs you that he promised you would bake four dozen cupcakes for a class party tomorrow, so you get in the car and get cupcake mix and cupcake holders and cans of frosting and sprinkles and come back and bake them and frost them and then it's 11:30 before you finally go to bed and then you hear "MOM" coming from his bedroom so you go in and discover he has a 102 temperature and instead of sending him to school the next day you're sitting at the pediatrician's office and then you laugh at all those cupcakes sitting there. wink

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

then, you eat them with your child cuz they were so brave at the Dr.'s

3. Putz Ballard profile image60
      Putz Ballardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A friend on FB posted this and I felt it is a worthy response representing what good mothers really are:
      I've carried a baby within my body. I have comforted a baby on my chest. I have kissed boo boos, mended broken hearts, been puked & peed on, woke up in the middle of the night to a feverish child & more. But I wouldn't have it any other way. My body isn't magazine perfect, but... when I look in the mirror I see a mom, and there is no greater honor or blessing.

2. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

your in labour

1. profile image0

oh wait. On second thought....lots of "mothers" out there did not give birth  to their children. One of my good friends was raised by her biological Grandmother, but the woman was my friend's mother by any other defintion. I know lots of people adopt or inherit children by some means (marriage, death of a relative etc..) sorry I answered so quick, I mean no disrespect.

You know your a mother when you dont think of yourself first.

1. thougtforce profile image85
        thougtforceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your teenage daughter pick clothes from your closet as if it was her clothes.

1. profile image0

AAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or your shoes!!!!!!!  wink  I have lost soooo many shoes this past year....but you smile and proudly think..she looks so grown up!!!

3. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Not to be gross, but one of the most accurate answers I've heard on this question is "You know you're a mother when you catch the barf in your hands so it doesn't hit the carpet."

A friend of mine came up with that one after her toddler got food poisoning, and having now lived through a similar situation myself, I must agree.

1. profile image0

catch the barf, and then not only are you not barfing yourself, but your first and foremost reaction is one of concern for your child.

4. profile image0

You say things you swore you wold never say. Like...."no dessert 'till you finish your veggies!!"

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

... when you have to wash the bar of soap before you can use it.

1. profile image0

err.....that can also happen if you are the wife/partner/spouse of a harry man.  lol

6. profile image0

You know you are a mom when you call YOUR mom and say.."Im sorry."

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

....You're the dad doing everything that a mother does!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice

8. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

very nice replies

You know when you are a mother when your child get sick and you wish you are the one who is sick, or when they get to be immunized and then you wish you will get the shot

...when you have this much money and you really want that shoe but can't because your child need another stuff

... when you are not bothered by noise and when things are not in order, you don't get angry

...when you are so sleepy but your baby is sick and you never complain even if you haven't eaten or sleep at all yet

..when you want to watch this TV show and you have only one TV, you dare to listen to children's show just to make your child happy

... when you are not use to fighting but you will fight and defend your child no matter what

...even if you're so tired, you never get tired BTW, you will rise up and check your baby

...you swallowed your pride and ask for something because your baby needs it

A mother is always patient, always energetic, giving -- never selfish and thinks of her children first before anything else .....

9. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

you know you are a mum when:
    you are trying to hold their hands crosssing the road and they say....mum i am twenty I can cross by myself and then you realise that you have put your hand out so your 80 year old mum can see you across the road too!

10. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

You know you're a mother when your husband has to remind you to talk like an adult instead of the baby talk you're used to.

Or when you can say something like 'stop putting toys in your brother's butt (meaning diaper)' without thinking it sounds wrong.

Or when it doesn't feel like sacrificing when you pass up someting you want in favor of something your kid(s) want or need.

Or when the most exciting social events you attent are PTO meetings at the school!

11. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

You get the first burp after patting your baby's back.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
      Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or when you say "good boy" out of habit from burping your son but it was your husband that burped! big_smile

1. profile image0

Ha ha, or you automtically cut his steak into bite sized pieces at a resturaunt!!

1. Ivorwen profile image66
          Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My mom use to do that to/for my dad.  He still laughs at her!

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

... when you tiptoe away from the crib to take a peek even though you couldn't wait until he finally fell asleep!

... you say the very same thing your mom said!

... you scrutinize every friend they bring into the house and say, well, we don't do that at our house.

... when you have to find a new place to hide the treats.

... when you cry little tears at graduation ceremonies.

... when you're standing with your hands on your hips doing the toe tap!

... when you're soon to have your first daughter in law. smile

13. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

... you've just had a baby.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
      Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That one I have to disagree with-my former sis-in-law had three boys and after she had the third, I had never seen a mother so detatched from her child.  She didn't bond with him and still hasn't so giving birth is not a guarantee of being a mother, unfortunately! sad

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was given up for adoption immediately after my birth ...
        Nevertheless, when you've just given birth, you are a mother - technically.

1. Joy56 profile image67
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that is a bad experience, did you never meet her

1. camlo profile image84

I was only minutes old when taken away, and obviously have no recollection of the event - therefore, not what I'd describe as a bad experience.
            My up-bringing by my adoptive parents was a bad experience. I was their pocession rather than their child, and so different to them that things never really worked out.
            Yes, I did meet my natural mother when I was 22. A wonderful and beautiful lady - that was a good experience, because I finally knew where I came from and why I am as I am.

BTW; I call both mothers my mother.

1. Joy56 profile image67

that is interesting, so are you still in touch with your mother,  I always love to see reunions with mother/fathers, and adopted children, you should write a hub about it....

1. camlo profile image84

What a long story that would make ... I was basically blackmailed by my adoptive mother never to contact my natural mother again. I fell for it.
                Years later, I remembered this, and many, many other things, and realised what a truly mean person my adoptive mother is, and ended up breaking off contact; the best thing I ever did for myself - a liberation.
                How stupid I was at 22 ...

Correction: I refer to both mothers as my mother.

1. Joy56 profile image67

she was thinking of herself rather than you.  I am nosey, so i love to know why people would leave their children in the first place.  I understand everyone have their reasons.... long hub or not you should write it....

1. camlo profile image84

Yes, my adoptive mother was selfish and, strange as it seems, always the first to accuse others of being selfish - especially if they were doing something she did not like.
                    To my natural mother: I was her second illegitimate child, and in those days, just one was a bad enough thing. Under pressure from her family, she put me up for adoption. She was over the moon to see me again after 22 years, and had figured that if I was anything like her, I would find her. I am a lot like her, and my natural sister, and my three natural brothers.
                    I suppose it could make an interesting Hub - I'll think about it.

14. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

When you are nurturing and caring for your child.

15. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

you know you are a mother when your daughter is in labour, and you feel all the pain, too.

16. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

When your heart melts with tenderness at the mere sight of your child.

17. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

...you are no longer bothered by copious amounts of poo or vomit. Even if the child's father still is. big_smile

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wry you seem to be having a hard day  smile

Even when you see children suffering and cant take it anymore ... no matter whose.. 

When your heart melts and even when your head tells you that you might be taken for a ride!
      When you see your children( Older) struggling with stuff they cant handle on their own, but unable to open up to you.... they think they are adults.. but you are still the mom

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually today was a good day - without any poo or vomit for once!

And I've actually got four days off, something which likely won't happen again for at least 2-3 weeks so I'm enjoying the hell out of it! big_smile

I cleaned most of my house. I also managed to publish two hubs (on another account) so I feel as if I've achieved something today!

18. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

You know your a mom when...

you watch child turn a 5 minute job into a 3 hour chore and never quit smiling at them or encouraging them to do their best.

you are explaining the 'facts of life' to pre teen boys.

you are cheerfully reading the same dump truck book for the 5th time that day, because you love seeing the child's delight.

you read the encyclopedias out loud, because you child is completely fascinated by them.

you are cringing inside, but smiling outwardly, as your children and the neighborhood kids show off the homemade swords and shields they just made, for acting out Final Fantasy.  Then you issue safety glasses to everyone, because fresh air is better than video games, despite how much you want to take the swords away.

1. profile image0

You have to figure out how to explain why farts in public are not considered funny by everyone....

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you can tell who didn't flush, by what was left...

My kids say you can pick out a mom, 'cause she makes everyone clean everything and then provides treats.

19. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

You know your a mother when you constantly act like a jerk and tic everyone around you off constantly.  Everyones heard at some time or another.....'There's so and so.  He's a real mother!'

20. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

You never leave the house without kleenex in your pocket

You shop for your kids on your night out

You go for a girls night out and it's your turn to choose the flick, you choose Toy Story 3

You're children are the only ones you think about every second of the day

Before you make a decision, you analyze the impact it will have on your children

You change to become a better person so that you can exemplify how important it is to be a good person

You understand what has happened before they even speak

You're heart races the first time they venture out on their own

No matter what mistake they say or do, you forgive them and love them even more

21. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

We have 5 boys.  My wife always says as a mother, when her boys are right she'll stand behind them no matter what.  When they're wrong she'll stand beside them no matter what.  That's a MOTHER.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

absolutely.

22. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

.. you find old mother's day cards and smile and can't bear to toss them.

.. you notice there are more pics of your first child in the photo albums.

..even when they're older, you still say I love you.

.. you still proudly display your son's 2nd grade painting on a ceramic plate in the dining room hutch.

1. profile image48
      KT1120posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You swing your arm out so no one crosses the street before the walk signs is flashing.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one.
        You also ask your friends if anyone needs to go to the bathroom before you go into a theatre., and tell your guests to push their chairs in after you eat dinner. -- (Teachers do this, too.)

1. sofs profile image77
          sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one!  HA big_smile big_smile big_smile Ha!

23. profile image48
    KT1120posted 13 years ago

Cats are the perfect pets because they are low maintenance, good companions, self amused, keep the rodents away from inside your home and sometimes spiders, humorous, intellegent, have a six sense about things, non judgemental, and loveable creatures.

24. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

you more often than not, show up to work-with a sticker stuck to your a**, gummy bear in your hair,spit up on your shoulder, crumbled up cookie in your bag & you're singing twinkle, twinkle little star and smiling because you were just told you are beautiful by someone that really believes it and when you left them with their friends-they cried for you to return -and you began to cry for them too.

You know you are a mother when you finally know what your mother meant when she said, "I'll always love you-but right now, I don't like you".

You are a mother when you lick your fingers and begin scrubbing dirt from your childs face.

25. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

You are a mother when you are scolding and beating up the kids and nagging the father.....

26. Helen Cripps profile image59
    Helen Crippsposted 13 years ago

you carry a flannel in a sandwich bag in your handbag when you go on picnics ( old school)... I guess wet wipes are the more contemporary equivalent

27. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

When you still obsessing about are they safe? are they happy? etc and they're nearly 30!

28. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

when you go clothes shopping and can only find things that you would like to buy for your daughter, nothing for yourself, even though you know your taste is way different than hers and she has warned you not to buy her any clothes!  and you are constantly grieving for the loss of your children - because they grew up and are no longer the little devils who charmed you and everybody else - even though you love the people they have grown to be just as much, you will always miss those kids!  so maybe your grandkids will be just as charming and beautiful!  Probably.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)