jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

1. elayne001 profile image46
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

Do you have any ideas of how a grandparent can be more relevant in the lives of their grandchildren. Some only have the reputation of being amusing.

1. alternate poet profile image75
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Give them more respect yourelf, the kids will follow naturally.

1. GoldiString profile image59
        GoldiStringposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I absolutely agree.

2. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I find listening to little ones and being there for them is huge! smile
      Unconditional love covers it all.

Talk to them at eye level, remark on there conversation and ... listen with proper respect. smile

3. 0
      ankigarg87posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Grandparents is the ideal for his grandchildren as children learn so many things from them. So respect them and take care of them

4. purpleangel47 profile image61
      purpleangel47posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am a Nana to five grandbabies - soon to be six - ages 5, 5, 3, 2, and two months.
      I am such a better Nana than I was a Mom. I've learned that these aren't just short adults. I talk earnestly to my babies. I ask questions about what they think, how they feel and what they want. With the two that live with me with their Mom, I make sure I hug and kiss them everyday. With the ones that don't, they get quality time with Nana when they're with me.

2. raisingme profile image89
    raisingmeposted 6 years ago

Spend some one on one time with them.  It will delight you both!

3. 0
    selrachposted 6 years ago

I know this is a little of topic but I just wanted to share it. I am going to be a grandfather for the first time in November.I think I am more exited than when I had my own kids.
    Part of the reason being I am a recovering alcoholic, and a few years ago would not have been trust to look after a dog,never mind look after a baby.

1. aka-dj profile image78
      aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good for you! I just became one for the first time two weeks ago.
      Only had a few hours with her, (due to the long distance that separates us). Looking forward to the best ever time with her, and any more that I may be blessed with in the future).

2. elayne001 profile image46
      elayne001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is great selrach, that you have changed so you can spend quality time with your new grandchild. Grandchildren love unconditionally and can bring so much joy to your life.

3. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Selrach-I'm a new grandma of 21 days.  As we've talked about before, I too am a recovering alcoholic.  It's so strange and wonderful-enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! smile

4. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 6 years ago

Be yourself.

5. aka-dj profile image78
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

Don't know yet, as I'm new to the GP role. But if my relationship to my nieces and nephews is anything to go by,
    Love em
    have fun with em
    show your disciplined side
    and you will have their love, affection & respect.
    big_smile big_smile big_smile

6. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

I am a grandparent 5 times. Spend quality time with them, don't let anything get in your way. Talk to them play with them. I am lucky that my grandchildren live close so I get to see them very often. They are precious and I am enjoying this days as much as I can.

7. lex123 profile image69
    lex123posted 6 years ago

I'm a first time grandma. We had received lots of love from our grandparents, and I hope to return the same to my grandchild. I feel so great to become a grandma for my lovely grandson.

8. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

No grandparents could have been more relevant in their grandchildren's lives than my kids' three grandparents (two grandmothers and paternal grandfather).  All it took was that the grandparents loved them, were kind to them, enjoyed doings things with or for them, and enjoyed their time with them.  Their paternal grandparents were a few hours away, so having some distance didn't make a lot of difference either.  I think having that special grandparent/grandchild bond is about as relevant as it gets.  Congratulations to all you new grandparents and soon-to-be grandparents.   smile

9. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

I had one grandparent in my life-my maternal grandmother.  I wish the others hadn't passed, but she was sufficiently 'grand!'

10. H.C Porter profile image83
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

I was really close to my grandmother- and all she did was listen to me-tell me the truth when i asked questions- not judge me- let me know she loved me and saw me for who i was-and encouraged me to be myself- and spoke to me not down to me or at me.
    I think being a good grandparent is much like being a good parent without yelling so much. Guide them when they are in need and love them always...with kids, you often have to make the effort, until they are older and wise enough to see that they need to participate in the give and take of the relationship and give some effort to be with you.