jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Can food addictives really make your child misbehave?

1. hanijane profile image61
    hanijaneposted 6 years ago

Food addictives have been proven to have a negative effect on people. especially children. Food coloring is one of the worse; red#40, Yellow#5 and any of the "Lake" colors. I have seena huge change in my child's attention span, focus, patience, and attitude since taking out these three food colors from his diet. Has anyone else tried this?

1. Polly C profile image88
      Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't buy foods with artifical flavourings or colourings in them and never have. I'm quite lucky with my son as he hates sweets and fizzy drinks (though he is a huge fan of chocolate). I have no doubt that they can cause behavioural effects in children though, I've seen loads of info on it.

2. secretmemoir profile image61
      secretmemoirposted 6 years ago in reply to this

they absolutely do with my child - he has the most incredible mega-tantrums.  We are sensitive to some natural food chemicals too (eg salicylates in plants)

2. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I truly hope that food additives are not addictive, although some of them may be.

Some children are more sensitive to certain substances than other children are, just like adults.  That would also be true of food allergies and other reactions, all consideration of additives aside.  Wise parents will observe the factors that seem to create problems for their children and avoid them or develop skills for dealing with them.

3. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

I was having bouts of confusion, forgetfulness, even blurry vision and stomach problems.  I went to the doctor, and after a monthlong journal of everything I ate, as well as when I was feeling the symptoms, when compared showed a definate tie between the two.  After some tests, the doc came to the conclusion that I was allergic to either the antibiotics they constantly give cattle to keep the healthy, or a hormone they give to the milk cows to keep their milk production up.  When I stopped eating red meat and milk, all the symptoms stopped.

4. hanijane profile image61
    hanijaneposted 6 years ago

I have recently written a hub about Synthetics in your diet and how it can effect behavior and health. Check out my profile to read it.