jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Have You Heard of Hotsaucing

1. talfonso profile image89
    talfonsoposted 5 years ago

You probably saw that crazy Mormon mother pouring hot sauce into her own adopted son's mouth for lying about getting in trouble at school on TV or on the Internet. He also has to take a cold shower for pulling three behavior cards. I don't have children, but this is too extreme!

I noticed that this isn't new, the practice called hotsaucing has been around in the South for quite a while, and a lot of mother who use it (mostly Christian) have had success with it. They make thier kids learn their lesson, to make them purge the devils out of their tongues, or both.

I believe that hot sauce shouldn't be administered to a kid until 11, especially as punishment. It's too barbaric and a kid might burn his developing organs and choke because of a swelled tongue!

Have you parents used the punishment before? Have you experienced the same as kids? Tell me what you think!

1. 0
      china manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This clearly raises issues of whether religious couples should be allowed to adopt children.  The harm to children by being in such a relationship is incalculable - it is time we had a religious freak register so that we know where these people are and can protect our children from them !

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I've always lived in the Deep South and have never heard of it!

talfonsoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me neither, until I read that story on it and wrote an article on Socyberty. How sick!

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Call me old fashioned but what happened to washing a kids mouth out with soap?

I don't know, but some people prefer hot sauce to soap when punishing a kid. Must be it's edibility, I think...

4. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 5 years ago

Wow this is horrible, not a way I would choose as discipline.

5. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

Sounds like a logical idea, give them Acid Reflux in later life.

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Let's see....

Kids of different ages use bad language for different reasons, but it's generally because they don't know any better, don't know hot to respect other people, hope to accomplish some result, and/or may be being aggressive.... 

Hmmm.  Parents who use hot sauce or soap as parents do it because they're ignorant (about child development and parenting) and don't know more appropriate and effective ways of accomplishing the result they want, don't respect their children, and aren't above aggressive behavior.

Gee, I wonder why those parents seem to have such a problem with kids who either will never respect in general (whether or not the parent manages to bully feigned respect into the kid while he's still smaller than than the parent, and whether or not the kid grows up never seeing/learning what capable parenting really is and may even believe that how his parents did things are the only way to be a parent).

These so called "techniques" are all about control and about as far from understanding child development, having children's respect without bullying them, and being completely and utterly ignorant about fostering the kind of genuine respect in children that makes parenting a whole lot easier as they grow up.

Usually, I try to be reasonably polite about some things, even if I think some other parents are being ignorant or showing their lack of understanding of child development.  Parents who favor these "techniques" don't deserve politeness or respect in this situation, because obviously they don't worry about whether someone who is ignorant or aggressive deserves any respect in spite of it.

This particular issue is not a matter of "just different opinions".  It's a matter of a lot of people who don't know any better thinking it is a matter of opinion when it's really a matter of knowing how to be a capable, effective, parent without resorting to such ignorant, aggressive, behavior.

Thank you very much for your input. I think the same thing holds true with giving a child a cold shower. It's a matter of lack of knowledge of good parenting.

7. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 5 years ago

I'd never do any of that. I don't believe in physical and emotional abuse as a parenting technique, myself.

Deliberately and cold-bloodedly putting something like hot sauce in a child's mouth seems pretty abusive, to me. I love my son. So I don't particularly want to abuse him.

8. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 5 years ago

What Lisa and Amanda said smile

9. Pearldiver profile image85
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Wow... You learn something every day hmm

I Always thought that 'Hotsaucing' had something to do with Thai Lady Boys!! yikes

I thought Borat covered that issue in one of his shows! hmm

10. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

how about them putting some chili sauce in the breast of the mom to wean the baby -- they do this in some culture