jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Please remember this

1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

This morning I have the very sad and difficult task of going to help a women here in our community whose husband died two months ago.

It wasn't sudden - his heart was failing and they both knew it.

However, he left her without any access to his computer documents, some of which she now needs.  I'll be going there to help her break into the computer.

Incidentally, he didn't take time to teach her how to use the remote controls for the TV and all, so I'll be doing a bit of that too.

Please remember to provide for your spouse and family with regard to your computer accounts.

1. sarovai profile image62
      sarovaiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good thing to be followed each and everybody.Thank u.

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kudos to you for helping someone in need!

Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, I and a few other people here do that anyway.  We have two organizations that offer free help to people in the community (over 800 homes). One is the Helping Hands, which helps with lifting things, moving things, minor repairs and so on.  The other is the Computer Club, which offers free help with most computer problems.  She called me because of the latter, but her circumstances just break my heart.

2. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

This is a good bit of advice. I handle our computer/banking accounts, but I do make sure that my husband knows where all of the information is, just in case something tragic were to happen.

My heart goes out to the woman who lost her husband - I am sorry for her loss.

It's so hard.

She was sobbing while talking to me last night.  I don't know her at all, never knew her husband, but I just want to do anything I can to help her.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you are an angel. I'm sure she not only is grieving and in a state of shock, but probably scared to death. I don't think anyone is ever prepared for the death of their spouse, even if they know it can happen at any time. It must be comforting for her to know someone cares.

I use Suze Orman's ultimate protection portfolio to store my documents and important papers. My sons know everything is safely stored in one place. It comes with how-to cd's and 10 books covering all aspects of financial responsibilities, wills, trusts, etc.

I think a lot of us here care very much.

This is the hard part of living in a retirement community - death is a frequent visitor.

Not everyone here is caring, but enough of us are that anyone with needs should be able to get help. We also have bereavement clubs and singles groups and a great many social activities to help people take their minds off their sorrows, if only for a few minutes.

We came here fairly early because of my wife's physical problems. We did not need to move when we did, but we knew that the day might come when she would require single floor living. We didn't want to be forced into quick decisions then, so we looked around carefully and chose this place where we still own our own home but not the land it sits on.

Anyway, there are good things and bad things. Death isn't a good thing, but all of us will face losing a spouse or leaving one behind.

Except me. My wife is such a bad driver (and insists upon taking the wheel) that I have great confidence that my last words to her will be  "Red light! Red light!" and we will go out together..

No, just kidding.

3. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, she probably has no idea about her own financial situation, either. I've seen these scenarios before as well, and they are difficult. I personally believe that it's incredibly selfish for a spouse to assume complete control over such things, and it's also very foolish of the other to not learn or have the interest. But each circumstance is different, and it's best not to try to judge why things are the way they are. At this point, I hope your neighbor can find the strength to face her fears and find the power to continue on.

I think it's terrific of you to offer help.

4. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Well done PC ! nice tohear people doing good stuff -  I am sure the husband will have left a notebook somewhere with all his codes and passwords in it if he was busy online and banking online etc etc.

I have taken the simple step of making sure 'she' knows where my book is and I have to keep it up to date becasue the stuff leaks out of my head without it !

Good luck with the lady tomorrow and I hope you unlock her stuff for her.