jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Share one thing you learned from your parents.

1. FaithDream profile image85
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

For me, I learned to believe in myself and to respect and honor others. My parents were not perfect, but they taught me great lessons about love and life.

1. crazymom3 profile image80
      crazymom3posted 5 years ago in reply to this

To work hard, and never give up.

2. 60
      amandasmitposted 5 years ago in reply to this
    3. hameidinger profile image62
      hameidingerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My parents told me that TRUST is Priceless-a TREASURE. You can't pay anybody to trust you or get back the trust once it is broken.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

The foundation for morals is based on understanding the meaning of Integrity. wink

3. CARIBQUEEN profile image76
    CARIBQUEENposted 5 years ago

To be honest, respectful and to love my fellow man. They taught me so much that I will always treasure and exhibit till the end of my days

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

My parents were big for talking about having self-respect and respecting not just other people, but animals, property, and the world and life in general.  They were also big for encouraging us to think for ourselves, do what we think is right, and "not just follow the crowd".  Being thankful for our good health was another big one.

(I know the OP asked for one thing, and I offered three.  Hope my parents are looking down and seeing that I continue to think for myself and write what I thought seemed right for this thread.  lol  )

1. FaithDream profile image85
      FaithDreamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Lisa. I wrote more than one thing as well. Hey our parents taught us a great deal. I'm sure they are smiling on this. I know my parents are. smile

5. mathair profile image71
    mathairposted 5 years ago

I think that it is only recently asa mother myself that I am realising the benefits of some of the things I observed and learned from my parents.  They gave up so much so that we did not go without and we are now in the same position. It is great to be able to look back and use the recipies and budgeting tips that i learned through observing my mother cook for us

6. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

It's better to be poor but honest than rich and manipulative.

7. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

I got my wry sense of humor from my adopted mom, its weird to hear myself say things she used to say to me all the time lol
    I also inherited a love of nature from her. I suspect that my inner strength was inherited from her as well. OK so you asked for one thing and I gave a bit more then that, too bad! tongue

8. JLClose profile image60
    JLCloseposted 5 years ago

From my mother I learned compassion and kindness. It is the best gift she could have given me, I think.

9. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 5 years ago

Never give up on your dreams and work hard to achieve your goals..... You never want to look back and say " I wish I had done this"

10. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

The top thing my parents taught me (or rather the thing their example taught me): 

When searching for a life partner, look for someone whose goals are basically the same as yours.  For example if you want children and he emphatically doesn't, walk away and keep walking - no matter how much your hormones tell you that you "love" this person.

Sorry, feeling a tad jaded and cynical today.

11. 60
    cinderella44posted 5 years ago

To think for yourself and family stands behind you.  I don't know how many times I turn on the news or hear someone talking about these awful things -- doing drugs, stabbings, shootings, all this and it's happening between family members.  Family should be the ones you can count on no matter what.