jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

TV is ruining our generation.

1. Ryan Guffy profile image60
    Ryan Guffyposted 5 years ago

I think TV should be positive and uplifting and motivationg our generation to do great things. Instead all I see on TV is how to hook up with another person, how to score drugs on the street or at school. I don't want to see that on TV.

I cannot stand to watch TV anymore. Everything that is on it today is just crap.

1. vellos profile image60
      vellosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is a vast wasteland but there is an oasis or two.

I find that the programs I tend to like have marginal viewership but are of high quality and constantly under threat of being cancelled.

You should be suspect of any program that is highly watched. It is probably crap although there are some exceptions.

2. chaunatye profile image60
      chaunatyeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I agree, there is really alot of crap on tv, especially what is available for kids. There are some good shows, but it's all a matter of taste.

3. TheBlondie profile image60
      TheBlondieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you that there is a ton of crap on tv, but there are a few gems. The comedies are getting better in my opinion- some are actually really clever. I love 30 Rock, Community, and The Soup- it makes fun of all those stupid shows, like reality television. Its so funny and turns an annoying subject into actual entertainment.

2. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

Kind of a blanket statement, isn't it?

Lots of educational things on TV. Concerts, great shows, etc.
    The same is true with the streets of all cities. Lots of no good goin' down, until you see the good that's also mixed in.

It's not all one or the other.

May not want to burn books, either. Choose the good ones out of pile.

3. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 5 years ago

Wait, what shows are you watching that are giving a how-to on scoring drugs on the street? That is information I need in my everyday life.

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I personally can't wait to see every episode of Modern Family. The rest is marginal.

4. marguarite profile image61
    marguariteposted 5 years ago

agreed, we should be out and about, not becoming cyber-borgs of TV. all the best.

5. NateSean profile image84
    NateSeanposted 5 years ago

TV has been around for nigh of a hundred years now. You're going to have to specify just what it is about "this generation" that's being ruined by it.

Time was, the most obscene thing you could find on television was Elvis Presley.

Now we have bears wiping their behinds. I personally don't find bears using toilet paper to be offensive, because, well, that's what it's for.

Also, what's presented on television varies from country to country. So if you're in a country that enjoys many freedoms such as what to watch, then it's really up to you whether you view it or not.

6. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

Hey south park is a wealth of knowledge!

7. Mommy S profile image61
    Mommy Sposted 5 years ago

I do like television, I admit. However, you're right that it does seem to promote all the wrong values.

I think that more than television ruining our generations is the amount of time that kids and adults spend in front of it. We need to spend less time in front of the television and more time out in the real world interacting with others. I feel this is especially true of children. Children should not watch more than 30min of television per day (this includes computer time!) and yet parents are constantly using it as a babysitter.