Would you pay to have plastic surgery on your child at age 7?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

In a recent video on yahoo, a couple of parents pay to have plastic surgery done on their daughter, to avoid having her get bullied at school about her ears.  By the way, she's only 7 years old too.  Personally, I don't even have an opinion on this, as I can understand the logic.  Then again, there is a little something called...resolve that I think most kids lack these days.  However, that's just me.  Anyways, here's the video if you want to know more:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1574 … y-24902719

What are your thoughts?  Would you pay to have plastic surgery on your child?  Why or why not?

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Interesting.
    Must take a look.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, well let us know what you think then after you watch it. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh thats kinda sad,that small people have such low self esteem.

Initially I thought the video might have been about medical surgery for removing an extra toe or dangly bits in the wrong places....clearly I can see how that would impair a young persons life.

But....being bullied for having funny ears ,or cosmetic surgery for less socially acceptable features...c  r  a  z  y...bad.

( You mean all this time ,I could have had a different nose instead of a bike on my 10th birthday !!)

Actually thinking more on it ,what are the parents telling kids anymore?

1. profile image0

Yeah, I would have to agree with you there. I mean it would be different if the surgery was absolutely necessary for the child's health, but doing it to avoid being bullied?  I'm not so sure about that, as I do think there's such a thing as resolve that kids need to learn.  After all, it builds character.

Then again, it's not my money here, and maybe the parents were bullied a lot as children, so they're trying to help their daughter avoid the same fate.  Something that I can understand, as I too have been bullied a lot when I was younger, and wouldn't want my children to go through; not that I have any, but I'm just speaking hypothetically.

Aw don't say that EW, I think your nose only makes you look more distinguish and sophisticated. wink Not to mention, you're already among some of our prettier girls that we have roaming around here on hubpages. wink

I honestly don't know, as I don't have kids.  However, I do wonder what the long term side effects will be though, as I think I heard somewhere that there are long term side effects to plastic surgery even as an adult.  Of course, I could be wrong on that but if it's true, then I hope it won't affect the child that gets the surgery in the long run. hmm

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

One of the prettier girls  lol well aren't you just the cats whiskers  Steven-cheques in the mail my friend she says gigglin.

No seriously ,it saddens me really.
          Obviously the parents are thinking beauty is only skin deep, and while I agree its their right to do whatever they want ,its sad the message they send kids ,all kids.

What they are really reinforcing is Hollywoods value of self,which we all know is quite superficial.
          The teenage movie stars ,the magazines ,the nasty "whose hot and whose not" rollercoaster

Media shouting not so subtly what beauty is according to the media and the commercial industry. After all they target the youth (and their parents) in clothing cosmetics and accessories) The Industry is huge and the amount they must spend on advertising is aggressive marketing.

The Anorexic dilemma is bad enough ,without the cosmetic angle adding to the mix.
          Kids are vulerable and sadly it seems the generation before them has let them them down.

Didnt relise I felt this strongly about it til now either so thanks for the great thread!

1. profile image0

wink lol

Wow, you really do have a strong opinion about this subject.  Far more passionate than most of the other hubbers who've posted so far on this.  I can definitely see where you're coming from, as you're right about what kind of message this might send the kid down the road.  Plus, as I said earlier, there's no guarantee that the surgery is going to keep a child from being a victim of bullying, as a bully doesn't necessarily need a valid excuse to pick on another child.

Your welcome EK, and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, as you definitely seem to always have interesting things to say. smile

2. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure many children would develop high self esteem if constantly bullied and ridiculed.

The problem is in the bullying, not in the childs ears! (IMO)

Next year it may be knees that knocks together.

I think going under the knife ,so she can feel better shows an unstable sense of self worth.

This kind of person will always need their worth validated ,and its just not a realistic solution IMO smile for her esteem.

1. camlo profile image84

I think you're living on cloud 7. smile

Land of the Long White Cloud actually. wink

1. camlo profile image84

Seriously - My child has a huge nose and is being mercilessly bullied. This makes my child totally miserable. My child can't cope with it all. That means my child has low self esteem, too. An enormous nose and low self esteem. What a pathetic child!
                Not really the right way to go, is it?

1. profile image0

Wow, are you serious?  I didn't even know you had a child that was being bullied over their nose.  That's awful.  I'm sorry to hear your child has to put up with that.  Kids can definitely be too mean sometimes. sad

1. camlo profile image84

No Steven - I haven't got a child who's being bullied about anything. smile But if I did ...
                    I remember a Turkish boy with a hair lip. He was about 15, and desperately trying to grow a moustache to cover it up, but it just wouldn't grow enough. If only his parents could have had something done about his lip when he was still a child. Things like that really do cause misery.
                    I also had a colleague with flappy ears, and we'd all joke about it, him included. He eventually had them pinned back.
                    On the other hand, I know a woman whose mother encouraged her to have liposuction, breast implants, a nose job, and her lips pumped up when she was about 16, which I find very wrong, especially because she was better looking before all the surgery - that is to say, it was totally unnecessary.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"plastic surgery done on their daughter, to avoid having her get bullied at school about her ears." There should rather have that surgery performed on the bullies.

1. profile image0

Yeah, that's true.  Personally, this sounds too much like a quick fix if you ask me, as people can get bullied for almost ANY reason.  Then again, what do I know?  hmm

4. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Yes, I would if it were something that would save my child a lot of problems, like a bulbus nose, hair lip, buck teeth or whatever - but only with the very best medical advice and surgeons, no matter what the cost.

1. profile image0

Well you do bring up a good point there Camlo, as I think any parent would do whatever it took to prevent their child from being bullied.  Then again, as I said earlier, a kid can be pretty much bullied over anything, so the surgery doesn't exactly negate the possibility of it.  However, I can see what you're getting at though.  smile

5. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

ooh - tough call. I guess I can see it after watching the video. But at what point does it become cosmetic? You know there will be parents out there who want their kids to simply be better looking. And they can always find a starving surgeon, who has been sued too much, to do it. How do you stop them?
    As they said in the video, plastic surgury is up 30% in kids.

1. profile image0

Yeah, you do bring up a lot of valid points there.  It's definitely a tough call to make for any parent if you ask me.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I'm still debating on whether I should have plastic surgery on MYSELF (and trust me, I need it a heck of a lot more than ANY 7 year old)!!

Seriously, when I saw this thread topic I was fully expecting it to be another "pathetic pageant parents" story. If you haven't seen it, check out Toddlers & Tiaras.
    The word that comes to mind is grotesque.
    And I don't mean the kids....

1. profile image0

Aw come on MM, I'm sure you don't need any surgery, as I sure you're already beautiful the way you are. wink

Wow, parents pay to have their kids go through plastic surgery just to win a few beauty pageants?  I can understand the story behind the parents on the yahoo video, as they're just trying to do what they feel is in the child's best interest.  However, the parents that are having their kids get surgery to win pageants need to get their heads examined if you ask me, as that just sounds crazy.

7. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid (a loooooong time ago), cosmetic surgery on kids' ears was quite common. I think they called it "pinning the ears back" or something. I see nothing wrong with it. Your ears are as grown as they're going to be by the time you're three years old, I believe. It's a relatively simple procedure -- way less invasive than something like plastic surgery on the nose or something like that.

Most plastic surgery I wouldn't recommend for kids, but I see no more harm in this than piercing a kids' ears. You know, it's funny how adults think. We take little baby girls and pierce their ears, but would be put in jail if we gave our baby son a tattoo. (Not that I'm advocating that, btw. I'm totally against it.)

1. profile image0

That's very interesting, as I didn't know about some of the things you've just mentioned.  Thanks Irohner for enlightening some of us with this post, as it's very interesting to know.  smile

To be honest, I'd be skeptical about piercing a baby's ears, as I've seen some babies get all grabby with their mom's earrings whenever they're held by their mothers.  Therefore, I'd be too scared the child might accidentally rip off their own earrings while the parents weren't looking.  At least, I would probably.  Then again, I tend to over analyze things sometimes, so I guess you can take that however you want to. lollol

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Kids getting their ears pinned back is a totally normal procedure that is carried out thousands of times each year and is not even a newsworthy item.  Imagine yourself going through life without the name that your friends call you now - imagine that your name is and has always been 'wingnut'.  Not hard to see the logic of this cheap, easy and safe little ear job ?

Besides, there are the safety aspects to consider in high wind situations.

1. camlo profile image84

Actually, I'm thinking of getting my ears pinned back. Nobody's ever mentioned it, but when I tried on one of those knitted hats about a year ago, I saw - to my horror - that I can't wear one because my ears stick out too much.

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah i have been meaning to bully you about that and your lack of ability in the guitar playing department.

Just been reading all the thread.   Seems like you would make a good father.   Surgery is horrible for a little one, though........

9. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I see nothing wrong with it either.  In the same way that we get braces to straighten teeth, eye surgery to correct a wandering eye,  I think its quite alright to go ahead with the ear surgery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)