jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling

Nationwide shortages of popular drugs used to treat ADD and ADHD are sending parents scrambling, with some combing multiple pharmacies for the Adderall and Ritalin that keep their kids calm.

...In the United States, an estimated 5.4 million children ages 4 to 17 have ever been diagnosed with ADHD, or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and 66 percent of those with current ADHD take medication to control the condition, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last year, that amounted to 152 million units sold of Adderall and Adderall XR, the extended-release version of the pill, 35 million units of Ritalin and nearly 702 million units of generic ADHD drugs, with sales totaling more than $1.2 billion, according to data from Wolters Kluwer Pharma Solutions.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42577775/ns … _parenting
    as someone who worked with hyperactive and distractible children and adults,I can tell you that the medicines worked wonders for many of them.It has always been a controversial subject and I hope they find a solution soon...

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

This isn't good.  Thanks for pointing this out.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

Maybe doctors will start prescribing healthier diets and eliminating certain food additives rather than routinely prescribing drugs which profit big Pharma.  I'm sure there are alternative methods of treatment.

I've also worked with children as young as 5 years old who were like zombies. It's a sad, sad issue.

4. Monisajda profile image83
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

I agree with rebekahELLE. My observation with my own kids was that if they ate foods with added colorants, tons of sugar and dairy they were going nuts. They are usually well behaved and self controlled kids but after eating certain things they were out of control. We avoid foods that trigger their behavior problems and this works well for us. However, they are not diagnosed with ADHD and so I don't want to say this would work for everyone. Also, generally American kids are fed a really bad diet and that must be detrimental to their well-being. I really believe in a good, not processed food but fresh and nutritious meals.