jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Unruly child!

1. aallard23 profile image79
    aallard23posted 5 years ago

Can someone please give me advice on how to stay calm when my one year old son is loud on the train? I know he is just a baby but the stares from people are starting to get to me.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is nothing you can do. Just smile and wave like the Pope. They'll have to deal with it, and you don't need to feel bad about it.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Absolutissimo! You can do nothing, enjoy life and make sure that it is not you who is making all that noise, scolding your child for being naughty.
        He is loud? Great! Lung capasity is large, healthy sign!

aallard23posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't scold him, I just tell him to please be quiet.

2. kirsteno profile image61
      kirstenoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you read to him on the train or offer any other form of entertainment?  He's going to be loud if he has nothing to do.  Sometimes they need the entertainment that is their own voice.

I do offer him toys, perhaps I should read to him and get his attention more. Thank you

3. Sapphireid profile image67
      Sapphireidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi aallard! Do what I've done when I had to take the bus when my kids were younger: Take a walkman with you and let your child use it. Make it mandatory, not an option that he/she puts it on. This is very easy to do, they love music! And for the mental drama of everyone looking at you, I know this can be more than a drag. Just have yourself a book, iPod/walkman to keep your attention away from the distractions around you. This can be a part of a safety plan, while riding the train with your child. Take Care!

Respectfully,

Sapphireid

Thank you very much Sapphireid

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Since you are on a train seems like you walk around.

huh.

3. cardelean profile image89
    cardeleanposted 5 years ago

Anyone who is a parent has been through something like that in their lives.  So if they are staring, maybe they are remembering those days.  I always pack a fun bag for my kids when we go on trips which include things like books, coloring books, toys, etc.  I also sing songs and play word type of games with them.  Reminding him quietly may also help for a bit.  I know that he's just one but some of those ideas will still work for him.  Nothing will fix it for a great length of time.  Enjoy your healthy, curious boy!

Thank you

working