jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

why foster parenting?

1. N.E. Wright profile image80
    N.E. Wrightposted 5 years ago

If you are or want to be a foster parent why did or would you become one?

I became a foster parent after witnessing an actual adoption of a young foster child becoming an adoptive child.  She did not even know why she was there.  She was just happy dressed in her beautiful gown sitting surrounded by her Mother, her older siblings, other family members, and friends of the family. 

That was all she knew.  Oh, and that we were later going to ChuckECheeses. 

In the same court house I saw News Vans for a young girl -- age 9 -- who accidentally killed a school safety officer ....  I almost cried, and than I decided I would search for and join a foster care agency. 

By the end of that summer I was certified.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image86
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

We did it because we love children and wanted to help. So many crack babies were being left at hospitals, plus other problems, it just seemed silly to keep pumping out babies when there were so many who needed loving parents. We had 14 of them come thru our house over the years, and we have a whole bunch of grandkids from them now.

However, now that they are all grown and gone from the house, I rather like the quiet. Plus, I'm getting too old to keep dealing with other ppl's problems like that.

ETA: I've never seen someone with a score of 1 before! Must be that glitch someone else was talking about earlier... someone had a hub score of 0.

N.E. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love your reason, and I must say I hear ya about the quiet.  LOL.

My score was once 88, and than for several months now I only went back as high as 30, and right back down to number 1.  LOL.  Oh, well.  It there is a glitch they are not trying to correct it.

3. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I was warehoused in several foster placements after my mom passed away. I'm not going to call them homes because they weren't, and I don't remember a single one of them where the "parents" weren't out for something for themselves.

N.E. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh, man, I am so sorry to hear that.

I know that is unfortunately true for most.  I will say there are other that are not like that.  Still, you made my eyes mist with your words.

Please check out my article For The Love Of Her Foster Child.

Again, sorry to hear about those sorry-ass foster parents you have encountered.

Take Care,