K-12 fundraising.

1. 59
    boilerboy48posted 5 years ago via iphone

My kids school sent home a questioner about how best to spend their budgeted moneys. One question asked how to go about fundraising. I told them the administration should conduct the fundraising and not the children. Boys and girls of the elementary age have enough ways to separate the haves from the have nots. We all know that one kid that always sold the most cookie dough ice cream to feed a small army. He was the same kid that goes to Disneyland in June, Disney World in July, and France in August. I know first hand of the girl who goes out every night after doing home work, sends order forms to mothers work, and begs grandparents for help, only to get a thank you card as a reward.
    Let's not give the kids another reason to feel bad about themselves and as the school administration to do a little fundraising for themselves. I am more apt to help those that help themselves. And o know that they are not doing this because I have never been approached for funds or help raising funds.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

At least your school wants the parents input about how the money should be spent. Fundraisers do serve a helpful purpose for the kids, as the proceeds help buy special equipment and materials for the student's benefit. With more budget cuts in most school systems, fundraisers will be a mainstay.

But as a teacher, I do hear you. I used to work in a private school which had fundraisers frequently. Sometimes it was just too much. Parents shouldn't make family/friends obligated to purchase.

3. 0
    WildIrisposted 5 years ago

Maybe the kids should, en-mass and armed with a list of needs for their school, start their fund-raising at their state representatives office.