jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

When do adults/parents suddenly lose their knowledge and wisdom?

1. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

As an adult and a parent, have you ever noticed that when our children are just pre-teen kids, we as adults are really smart and the kids turn to us for our knowledge and wisdom, BUT the moment those same kids become teens, we adults/parents become so stupid. We know nothing, we can't understand what they are experiencing and going through. Then when those same kids reach their mid-twenties or thirties, all of a sudden we are smart again and they turn back to us for advice.

When and how do we suddenly go from being smart to being stupid and then finally back to smart?  Have we lost our knowledge and wisdom or are our kids afraid to admit we are smarter than they give us credit for?

Knowledge Wisdom and experience can never be replaced.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If anyone has experienced this problem, then I would say they have bigger problems and other issues.
      This is not the same for every individual. To think it is the same for everyone isn't knowledgeable or filled with any sort of wisdom.
      Kids go through phases where they are in denial of their parents. It's part of growing, living life, because something things truly cannot be taught, but have to be experienced(lived through) in order to learn from.
      Correct, knowledge and wisdom, and experience cannot ever be replaced, but each can be perceived wrongly. Just a thought.

1. Dave Mathews profile image59
        Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am not saying that it happens in every family, but it does happen.

I do realize the growing stages of a kid that's not my point. My point is that parents do not all of a sudden become less knowledgable, or stupid but the kids don't see it anymore.

knowledge and wisdom can never be perceived wrongly. This means there is something wrong with the child's ability to process information but not the parents ability to share what they know is true and fact.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

It's normal for teens to question authority. Their brains are still developing logic/reasoning skills well into their mid - 20's.

Some issues arise from ineffective parenting. Parents may be too authoritative rather than listening to and allowing their teens to communicate. Parents also need to develop the ability to see things from their teens point of view. Mistakes are a great learning tool.

In their mid/late 20s, they usually start to understand that mom/ dad were probably right OR that mom/dad were messed up! hmm  I think we could all agree that not all parents have knowledge and wisdom.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

I think there are also some teens who resent their parents knowledge and wisdom, and therefore deny it exists out of anger/spite. 

Then, after a little life experience, the anger ebbs, spite retreats, and understanding takes place.  Voila!  Teens are now adults and are able to recognize their parents knowledge and wisdom for what it really is.  Experience.

4. HSanAlim profile image55
    HSanAlimposted 5 years ago

Parents only lose their knowledge and wisdom when children stop listening to them.  The smartest child is the one that realizes the value of the experience and knowledge their parent is hoping to pass on to them. The sagest parent is the one that does not give up when a teen age child rebuffs efforts to prevent the soon to be adult, yet still a child, teen from doing things not in their own best interest.

One thing I found is that the best way to pass knowledge to your children is to do so by example. Do as I say, not as I do never works.
    Setting a proper example and guiding who your child has in their environment without being controlling are the keys to successful parenting, in my opinion.

I have two daughters, both beautiful vivacious young ladies almost out of their teens and both, amazingly still as pure as the driven snow, yet knowledgeable about the world and both the good and bad in it. Some times I feel it is a miracle my spouse and I were able to lead or guide them to this point.

5. Eleanor's Words profile image85
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 5 years ago

As a parent, I am experiencing this already, with an 11 year old. It is not that he doesn't listen to or respect me (yet!) but all of a sudden, after years of believing most things his dad and I tell him, he has suddenly decided that his peers are more knowledgable. 'So-and-so said it,' he'll tell me, and it will take a lot of effort to convince him otherwise. I think that it is a normal step in growing up, and probably important in that it teaches children how to think and work things out for themselves - eventually!