jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

where are the family court public defenders??????

1. donnabella30 profile image80
    donnabella30posted 5 years ago

It is sooo mind boggling to me  that criminals have access to a public defender yet way too many men and some women are left without any means of having an attorney when it comes to family court. I most am speaking about the men in these situations because women already have the upper hand and unspoken rights for simply having bore the child.
    Men lives are completely ruined by women who have put a trying man on child support for their own selfish reasons or a man who isn't even the biological father.  Without a doubt there are a number of men that are deserving of paying child support. But again, I ask, what about those who have gone to school, graduated with degrees or those simply looking to work but can't  because of  being in arrears or having a revoked license.  How can they ever overcome that type of debt if they can't be allowed to work, meanwhile mothers are being given money that most times the kid/s don't even see!?

1. Freegoldman profile image61
      Freegoldmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The Public Defender's Office provides representation in criminal court handling felonies and misdemeanors and Family or Surrogate Court.

2. Monisajda profile image83
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

I don't understand your last sentence "mothers are being given money that most times the kid/s don't even see!?". How would you expect a kid to handle money? Unless, you mean that those women spend money for their own clothes, trips to a mall or manicure and pedicure instead on food and clothes for kids.

donnabella30posted 5 years ago in reply to this

The latter is what I meant with my last question.  The money is not being used to fulfill the needs of the child.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
        MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with the basic concept that there should be public attorneys in family court.

Child support, however, is the responsibility of the non-custodial parent.  I assume that the mother of the child is paying rent/utilities whatever in addition to getting her nails done.  The logic that the father is paying for her nails to get done assumes that she can never do anything for her self at any time because he is giving money that goes into a common pool.

True, support should be the responsibility of the non custodial. I'm speaking for those who are wronged by this system. Again, women have the upper hand here. We can go and say anyone is the father before and sometimes without DNA being determined. Women use false personal info on the suspected fathers so that they miss correspondents regarding hearings. I'm referring to women who out of spite go and put a man on CS even when he fully supports the child anyway.  I just find that unfair. There's a lot that needs to be corrected so that the true deadbeat parents are handled and not those making real effort, fathers and mothers.

3. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago

The Courts do not care! Their existence is manipulating as much $$$ out of the people that it can!  The Courts have been utilized as a revenue generating source.  They are CORRUPT!

The only semblance of fairness resides within the Jury system, not much help in family, or housing, or civil court.

Yea I know, it's till so very very frustrating. Gotta be awfully strong minded to endure sometimes.

4. vbrown11 profile image60
    vbrown11posted 5 years ago

Usually when you have family court for child support both parties go in "pro se" representing themselves, this was the case of someone I know. When he and his girlfriend (unwed) broke up 7 years ago, she went the same day to the welfare office asking for child support, cash, food and medical for their 5 children. Through these years he has struggled financially. He even showed me a "voided" check once! He has lost his licensed twice due to being late (no public transportation avail in area) Although not the "moral" thing to do, he eventually quit both of his jobs and now is growing deeper in debt. The most craziness in his story, throughout this time he had found that only 1 of the children is biologically his!

Yea, that's not crazy. That's how too many end up, in debt. But we have this political guy, don't ask me his name, owing over 100k, yet he's not in jail, has a license, etc. All because he has money. Bet he glad all 5 ain't his but he still probably paying the support.

5. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

Look, you have to understand one simple thing when discussing such matters...

Lawyers (and the legal system in general), are a bunch of !@#%@@^!@#%^