jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

My sisters and brothers have left me with all the responsibilities.

1. Obscure_Treasures profile image60
    Obscure_Treasuresposted 5 years ago

My sisters and brothers have left me with all the responsibilities of caring for my aging parent. Any suggestions on how I can get them involved?

1. preacherdon profile image79
      preacherdonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm in a similar situation. If you discover anything, let me know. My only choices seem to be: hire someone or put them in a nursing home (which I prefer not to do).

2. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Contact your siblings and arrange a family meeting delineating their responsibilities in caring for their aging parent.   I am an only child who has assume full responsibility for my aging mother until she has gotten worse and was placed in a nursing home.

Having siblings does not guarantee full cooperation with all parties.   Depending upon your and your siblings' respective birth orders,  it is usually the oldest sibling or the sibling who lives nearest to the parent who assumes the responsibility.  I have witnessed siblings arguing as to who will care for the parent.    Thank God, I did not have this problem being an only child.   I care for my mother until I could no longer do so and placed her in a nursing home.

My mother had siblings who were unwilling to care for her because it was TOO MUCH WORK.   Please note that my mother, the oldest, looked after them and helped them when needed.  This proves that siblings are not always there when you need them.   I further suggest hiring live in help which will alleviate any stress that you may have.

3. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

This OP is gone (although I suppose there's no harm in answering the question for anyone else who isn't gone. hmm  )